This loss is on Hyde

banks703

Pitchers have to make pitches obviously but the manager is supposed to put them in the best position to succeed. 

Baumann was throwing well enough to go another inning. 

Joey clearly didn’t have it.

Perez threw nine pretty dominant pitches. Why pull him? 

Baker could have gone longer as well. 

I didn’t think Tate needed to be pulled when he was pulled. 

With Bautista throwing one off of the backstop, going into the ninth why in the world wouldn’t we have someone throwing? 

It’s been a great season but good gosh. They gave this one away tonight. When playing to win every game, you just can’t out-manage yourself and that’s what Hyde did tonight. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Of course this post was coming.  Hindsight is 20/20.  He used the players in the spots that has got this team to where they are today.  Playing meaningful games in late Sept.  Sometimes you have to tip your hat to the other team who were DUE to score some runs.   Baumann was starting his second game in his major league career.  He got through a grreat lineup twice allowing 2 runs.  He went to his strength, his well rested bullpen.  If Baumann came out in the 5th and gave up runs he would be getting ripped for that.    

• Upvote 2

I agree with all of this, I missed a couple innings after joey blew up but Baumanns stuff looked great but not a ton of control tonight. I was surprised they pulled him after 4, He made only one big mistake pitch. Seems like hyde always pulls perez after 1 inning no matter how many pitches he throws, kinda confusing on that, but you could tell after 1 inning that felix didnt have it tonight, gotta handle that better. 

This loss is on Krehbal he pitched terrible and put the bullpen in trouble because he got 1 out and gave up 4 runs while also having to use our one late inning lefty with a team that has probably the best two left handed hitters combo in all of baseball.   The only move that I thought he could make but it would have been ballsy if it didn’t work and that was Hall come in to face Tucker in the 9th because Bautista had to be on fumes.  

7 minutes ago, MijiT88 said:

I agree with all of this, I missed a couple innings after joey blew up but Baumanns stuff looked great but not a ton of control tonight. I was surprised they pulled him after 4, He made only one big mistake pitch. Seems like hyde always pulls perez after 1 inning no matter how many pitches he throws, kinda confusing on that, but you could tell after 1 inning that felix didnt have it tonight, gotta handle that better. 

Who are you bringing in to save it.  Hall?  Reed?  Watkins?  He used all his bullets he had. A struggling Felix is a better option then any of the guys he had left.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Who are you bringing in to save it.  Hall?  Reed?  Watkins?  He used all his bullets he had. A struggling Felix is a better option then any of the guys he had left.  

With the game on the line you have to have a guy ready if felix cant get the ball over the plate. Asking a guy to get a 2 inning save after having some arm fatigue issues is asking a lot. But if baumann went another inning and we used perez longer and maybe tate or baker you could've had more bullets to fire

18 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Wondering this as well. Seemed like a good candidate for the 5th, can give you two innings.

5 right handers in a row we’re coming up.  You use I right hander there.    Krehbal just didn’t get job done and caused all the issues after that by not doing his job.  You want Akin for low or mid level situation for their lefties in the. 6th but we had to use our only late inning lefty to save us in the 5 th.  

8 minutes ago, MijiT88 said:

With the game on the line you have to have a guy ready if felix cant get the ball over the plate. Asking a guy to get a 2 inning save after having some arm fatigue issues is asking a lot. But if baumann went another inning and we used perez longer and maybe tate or baker you could've had more bullets to fire

This. 

I am not usually one to criticize BH. My hope for the team was to get to .500 baseball THIS year so anything more than that is a plus in my eyes. And I do think he’s deserving of MOY. 

However ..

It doesn’t take a lot to realize that since the rookie closer has been bothered my arm fatigue, he’s not been quite the same guy. Yes, when he’s ‘on’ he is legitimately shutdown quality at the backend but he’s also shown a propensity to be wild all year. Again, he threw one to the backstop tonight in his first inning of work. He gave up the miss-hit ball that Hays overthrew Mateo (I disagree with Palmer. I’m not sure that they relay that out at home). They were on his pitches and because he couldn’t command the fastball he kept going to the split. It’s kinda like in football, when your QB has a broken arm, the defense knows that you aren’t going to throw the ball so they stack the box. Alvarez hit the split. Tucker hit the split. Both guys couldn’t catch up to the fastball but because Bautista couldn’t command it tonight they got an off-speed offering that they executed on to beat us. Yes, tip of the cap to the best team in the league.

If you’re going to send Bautista out in the ninth to close, given the arm fatigue and the wildness, why not have someone up and throwing? And to the point above about Baker, Perez and Baumann all seemingly able to pitch deeper if given the opportunity, we may not have had to put the rookie closer in a rescue us 2-inning save situation.

That was the point that I was making. Decisions earlier in the game lead to the over reliance on Bautista.