Tuesday September 27: Orioles try to clinch both .500 season and 4th place finish

SteveA

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not so sure about that.  We need to give credit when credit is due, this isn't Syd Thrift's front office.  It feels good to say that our FO is pretty smart, I mean I just cheated The Sun paywall courtesy of @Can_of_cornand read an article about this pitching lab the Orioles have set up.  We're firmly in the 21st century when it comes to how baseball is looked at by a FO.

I don't believe they think that Aguilar is head and shoulders a better option over Stowers in all facets.  I think maybe Hyde liked a matchup better for whatever reason.

If the FO wanted Stowers to face more lefties he would. 

This is Fenway. I get why he hit a Aguilar. A three run bomb makes it a 2 run game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hope everyone (including us) walks Judge for the rest of the week.  I just want to see Yankee fans cry.

It's total schadenfreude, but it would be partial retribution for Jeffrey Maier getting away with catching that ball in the 1996 ALCS. 

The anger and seething of Yankees will keep me warm all winter. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not so sure about that.  We need to give credit when credit is due, this isn't Syd Thrift's front office.  It feels good to say that our FO is pretty smart, I mean I just cheated The Sun paywall courtesy of @Can_of_cornand read an article about this pitching lab the Orioles have set up.  We're firmly in the 21st century when it comes to how baseball is looked at by a FO.

I don't believe they think that Aguilar is head and shoulders a better option over Stowers in all facets.  I think maybe Hyde liked a matchup better for whatever reason.

A right-handed pull power hitter in Fenway Park vs a lefty pitcher at a point in the game (2 out 2 on down 5) where it was worth taking a shot at a HR to propel us back in the game.

Yes I know Aguilar has been crap this year but throughout his career he has hit lefties well, with power.

He was obviously picked up to give us a RH bat vs lefties.  Yes, he has failed in that respect.  But that's why they got him and for the most part that's how they've used him.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

A right-handed pull power hitter in Fenway Park vs a lefty pitcher at a point in the game (2 out 2 on down 5) where it was worth taking a shot at a HR to propel us back in the game.

Yes I know Aguilar has been crap this year but throughout his career he has hit lefties well, with power.

He was obviously picked up to give us a RH bat vs lefties.  Yes, he has failed in that respect.  But that's why they got him and for the most part that's how they've used him.

Yeah, it was an effort to catch lightning in a bottle.  

6 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Using Reed set the tone today. The Sox were licking at the chops when slow ball Reed came in.

I was so disappointed when the O's claimed Reed

Yes, at that point we’d only yielded 8 runs and 15 base runners through 3 innings, I think that’s definitely where things went off the rails. 

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Exactly.  I'm not convinced the hitting woes are here to stay because of the personnel involved -- at least not the young personnel.  The hitting fell off for many guys this season who are clearly talented.  We don't know why, but we have to trust the team will get to the bottom of it.  What choice do we have?
    • I’m not up on the latest analytical thinking—I am really not that kind of sports fan anymore—but walks?  I can’t imagine that organizationally they are discounting walks.  Our marquee young players seemed to distinguish themselves in the maturity of their approaches on their scouting reports and in their earlier play even at the major league level.  Contrast that with the last two days where we had like seven or eight Javy Baez’s (or whoever, feel like I’ve seen a lot of clips of that guy hacking at air).  How many high fastballs did they swing through or pop up?  And nobody adjusted.  The Royals had them completely lost and the council of hitting coaches obviously couldn’t fix it.  I don’t know man, everyone’s just regressed.  How many freaking times do you hear how it’s a “game of adjustments” and who really did that well in the second half, let alone the last two games?  They failed at that both macro and micro.
    • I made this comment in another thread, but I think there has to be a serious review within organization of how they are instructing their hitting prospects. We see prospect after prospect come up and struggle mightily. I think it's more than just some bad luck. And there's way too many hitters that are home run or die in this lineup. The Orioles did score a decent amount of runs this year, but this offense is easy to shutdown. Limit the home runs given up and the Orioles will struggle just get on the scoreboard.  The baseball doesn't travel as well when the weather cools and the competition gets better in the postseason. You can't beat up on some .500 or worse pitching staff in the playoffs.
    • Here’s the thing. Just a few months ago I think most were marveling at our development. Adley and Gunnar progressing as you’d hope and Cowser bouncing back in a big way. Westburg emerging as well.  JH and Mayo’s bumpy ride has been disappointing, but I’ll need until the middle of next year to think there’s anything wrong with how we develop hitters. I will say though, I want to see approach adjustments back to 2023. 
    • Gunnar hit 1.288 OPS in the playoffs last year. 
    • Holliday became a professional in 2022, Churio and Merrill became professionals in 2021 so he has a year plus less experience then those guys do.  All the experts say Holliday will be a superstar in time so I will stick with them.  Henderson struggled his 1st year as well and now is a MVP contender.   Witt was drafted in 2019 and made the majors in 2022 so 3 years later.  Holliday was drafted in 2022 and made his debut in 2024.   He was 1 year ahead of them all in professional development.  
    • This is correct.  Just wish the Os had one of those guys. 
  • Popular Contributors