Tuesday September 27: Orioles try to clinch both .500 season and 4th place finish

SteveA

Palmer talking about Dick Hall. He was 6'6", and Chuck Thompson referred to him as The Tall Mr. Hall. A pitcher that height was almost as freakish in the '60s as Randy Johnson at 6'10" was later on. The conventional wisdom then was that a guy that tall couldn't get his mechanics consistent enough to be a successful pitcher. 

Hall is a graduate of Swarthmore College, which is 20 minutes or so from where I grew up. I have a friend who played baseball at Swarthmore in the early 70s, and I met Hall at a couple of Swarthmore alumni baseball games in the mid- to late 70s. Very nice guy -- and very competitive.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Maybe they don’t buy it.  I don’t know. We all know those stats. 

I saw him hit an oppo bomb at Bowie last year off a lefty. Hanging curve ball. 

Stowers has 1 PA against LHP in the majors.  It makes no sense. I really think that this is Hyde’s preference for traditional lefty-righty match-ups, rather than the FO instructing Hyde to not let Stowers face LHP because they do not believe in his superb MiLB numbers.  The latter would just be too bizarre.  My guess is that Elias discusses things with Hyde, but the day to day lineup and in game management is Hyde’s call.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jdwilde1 said:

Stowers has 1 PA against LHP in the majors.  It makes no sense. I really think that this is Hyde’s preference for traditional lefty-righty match-ups, rather than the FO instructing Hyde to not let Stowers face LHP because they do not believe in his superb MiLB numbers.  The latter would just be too bizarre.  My guess is that Elias discusses things with Hyde, but the day to day lineup and in game management is Hyde’s call.

I think there is no way in the world he is doing that without Elias approval. 

The walksc and hit batsmen are the biggest factor.  Boston has a bunch of weak hits that have dropped and the O's errors have give extra outs, but we have put way too many guys on base to score on those weak hits and errors.  They aren't hitting the ball hard, they just have been given a lot of free bars.