Mike Elias talks about this season and beyond today

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Some quotes from today:

“I don’t want to announce a budget to the agent community or the other 29 teams, but I do continue to view this as an offseason where we’re going to have the flexibility to invest in the major league payroll in a different way than I have done since I’ve been here,” Elias said. “… I feel like this team is officially in the fight in the American League East, and that’s a big achievement.”

“It’s not something obvious, that I think we’re going to target a certain position,” Elias said. “I think we’re going to look at any and all ways to improve our chances of making the playoffs within the budget that we’re going to be working with, and that’s going to depend on what the market gives us, and I think there are a number of areas where we could supplement this team, so I don’t have a specific prediction about which position any major league acquisitions are going to going to come in.”

Elias noted that the Orioles have “very interesting internal candidates for almost every single job,” complicating their offseason addition-making. 

“I think we’re going to have to [part with prospects] if we’re going to import players for trade,” Elias said. “I don’t know that we’re going to get it done without sending prospects. I really like the players that we’ve been drafting and developing or trading for, but this is part of the business, and that’s why you amass such depth in your organization. There’s a 40-man roster, there’s a Rule 5 draft, you can’t keep everybody, and you also can’t play everybody.

“We just want to keep stacking good players and good drafts and good international development so that we’re able to use our players, because we don’t have the same amount of money as the [New York] Yankees, you know? There’s going to be times when our richness in players is going to be what we have to lean into in order to win out here.”

Well I be danged.  I think we have ourselves a GM.  Hope his contract is extended soon.  Thanks for posting this Tony!  

• Upvote 3

Ye olde upload.

Towards the beginning I liked the bit on the question about locking guys up how Elias threw in the bit about demonstrating to his negotiating counterparts his ability to be discreet about such things....thought that was kind of a dig at Cashman-Judge.     I still mostly expect he'll do about the same thing if anyone super important gets to a walk year and decides to bet on himself.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The theme of the offseason:

Who do you trust and who do you not trust?

Those are 2 enormous questions.

2c2ea759-62db-4805-abc6-fae41b15629f_tex

I can't believe I have a GM of one of my favorite teams that I trust.  But I do.  

That said (and I've been saying this for weeks now) but I don't believe he's going to spend an exorbitant amount of money just to say that he spent money.  Or spend an exorbitant amount of money because he's got a budget that's higher in previous offseasons.

I can easily see situations where, if he doesn't like the deals out there for certain free agents, he walks away.  I believe he's a disciplined GM, we saw that when he traded Mancini and Lopez at the deadline, not caring how it looked or what the fans thought.  Or caring what his own team thought.

I think it's important to temper expectations here.  Just because he's identified this offseason as one where he's got more of a budget doesn't mean we should automatically assume that we're headed into ST with some studs we picked up in free agency.

But I trust him, I think he's done a really good job thus far and I don't see why he can't complete the mission.  He's smart and he's disciplined and that's a tough combination to beat.

• Upvote 2

IMO this is the off-season when we find out what we have in Elias being able to shape us into actual contenders.

He’s done an incredible job developing our system and amassing assets! Now that the foundation is firm and the framing is done, we need to go out and add the pieces to be fully furnished (i.e. better starting pichting than we have preferably an arm to go atop the rotation AND/OR an impact bat).

38 minutes ago, Natty said:

Wow great, the owners have told him we might spend a little if he can find a good deal. 

Can't wait to see the big money free agents we bring to Baltimore. 

What do you really think this team needs by way of FAs?

Maybe a 1B/DH?

A starter or maybe two?

Go get Jose Abreu..  and trade for a couple pitching pieces

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias also made a comment in the 4th inning interview that he thought Mateo was a big part of why the O's improved so much this year.   It was a ringing endorsement.  I don't think we will see Matro traded this off season.

Whether he trades him or not, he has all the incentive in the world to provide a ringing endorsement.  What is he going to say? "We don't think the defensive metrics are sustainable and would like to sell high via a trade this offseason, especially given the INF depth we have in the system."

8 minutes ago, owknows said:

What do you really think this team needs by way of FAs?

Maybe a 1B/DH?

A starter or maybe two?

Go get Jose Abreu..  and trade for a couple pitching pieces

We need to set the level high. And go all out. And bring in a genuine .270 batter. 

But it wont be cheap.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

2c2ea759-62db-4805-abc6-fae41b15629f_tex

I can't believe I have a GM of one of my favorite teams that I trust.  But I do.  

That said (and I've been saying this for weeks now) but I don't believe he's going to spend an exorbitant amount of money just to say that he spent money.  Or spend an exorbitant amount of money because he's got a budget that's higher in previous offseasons.

I can easily see situations where, if he doesn't like the deals out there for certain free agents, he walks away.  I believe he's a disciplined GM, we saw that when he traded Mancini and Lopez at the deadline, not caring how it looked or what the fans thought.  Or caring what his own team thought.

I think it's important to temper expectations here.  Just because he's identified this offseason as one where he's got more of a budget doesn't mean we should automatically assume that we're headed into ST with some studs we picked up in free agency.

But I trust him, I think he's done a really good job thus far and I don't see why he can't complete the mission.  He's smart and he's disciplined and that's a tough combination to beat.

Excellent post.  To continue the Joker theme:  "As you know, madness is like gravity... all it takes is a little push."  I trust Elias too.  Sure, he's playing coy but that's part of the role too.

Would we be happy if the big spending was "only" buying out Gunnar and/or Adley's arbitration years plus 1-2 more?

If my sketchy memory serves, Elias talking about trading prospects is new.  Not unexpected, but a new talking point.  Should be interesting to see how this plays out!

• Upvote 1