My experience at Birdland Members Day at Oriole Park

justD

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Good for Brian Bass, I guess.   He basically pitched one season for the Orioles and a few games in another.   In fact, I had to think if it was this Brian Bass https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bassbr01.shtml

or this Bryan Bass.  https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=bass--001all

Ha I checked beforehand, because I wanted to take my photo of Bryan Bass from 2008 for him to sign, but found out beforehand that no, it was going to be Brian Bass, the pitcher. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Moose!  Moose!  Moose!   Maybe I will let you into the Joey Ortiz fan club one day.   And maybe I won't.

I think you want to keep the Joey Ortiz fan club to yourself.  I don't think you want anyone to be able to share precious Joey with you.

@justD, thanks for the rundown, this was a fun read and I enjoyed the photos.  ALMOST made me want to sign up to be a Birdland member.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, justD said:

Ha I checked beforehand, because I wanted to take my photo of Bryan Bass from 2008 for him to sign, but found out beforehand that no, it was going to be Brian Bass, the pitcher. 

Literally you may be only one in the world that one, remembers Bryan Bass, and two, was sad when it wasn't him signing autographs. :D

Sayin that, what an interesting "fan forum" it would be with him, Richard Stahl, Billy Rowell, Josh Hart, and of course, Matt Hobgood.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Literally you may be only one in the world that one, remembers Bryan Bass, and two, was sad when it wasn't him signing autographs. :D

Sayin that, what an interesting "fan forum" it would be with him, Richard Stahl, Billy Rowell, Josh Hart, and of course, Matt Hobgood.

Eh, I think someone else brought up Bryan Bass and JustD responded so that would make two people in the world.

4 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

Great write-up JustD!  Was there any discussion on what goes into the lineup construction? Inquiring minds want to know why Stowers didn’t get a chance against LHP.

I think they talked a little about it but nothing that was new enough for me to make note of. 

What you did remind me of is Sig and Eve talked about being this team-of-3 who have worked together so long that they are all able to really call one of the others out if they disagree, and all of them are able to get their egos out of the way enough to listen to the others for a real good cooperative effort. 

And yet when Steve Melewski, the Q&A host, asked if Elias always has the final say, the answer was an unequivocal, and rather humorous, "YES."

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It wasn't Billy Rowell's fault, but for me he was symbolic of the Orioles total inability to draft and develop talent during the dark years of 1997 to 2011. 

In the 2006 MLB Draft first round the two players taken after Rowell were Tim Linceum and Max Scherzer. 😬

And for good measure the two player taken right before were Andrew Miller and Clayton Kershaw. Not that the Orioles could have selected them, but just to show there was some serious talent in 2006 draft. 

Of course knowing the O's at the time, Linceum and Scherzer would have been mediocre starting pitchers winning no hardware during their careers. 

I dropped in for an hour or so. I thought the whole thing was very well put on.  It was my first time to get the opportunity to go underground into the clubhouse, and to step onto the field.  What a treat!  I would post a few photos, but JustD already shared every angle I thought worthy of capture.

I had season tickets at Memorial Stadium, and for the first season at Camden Yards, but then moved to Texas for three decades.  We're back in Baltimore, and will be sitting in section 55 every Sunday in 2023.  Let's Go O's!  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ChipTait said:

I dropped in for an hour or so. I thought the whole thing was very well put on.  It was my first time to get the opportunity to go underground into the clubhouse, and to step onto the field.  What a treat!  I would post a few photos, but JustD already shared every angle I thought worthy of capture.

I had season tickets at Memorial Stadium, and for the first season at Camden Yards, but then moved to Texas for three decades.  We're back in Baltimore, and will be sitting in section 55 every Sunday in 2023.  Let's Go O's!  

Ohhhhh Section 55!  Great Gunnar views!

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 12:38 PM, justD said:

The highlight of my day was both attending the Joey Ortiz/Coby Mayo Q&A and then getting their autographs.  I'd taken a photo from Joey's IG and he remarked how he really liked that photo.  Me too. 

They talked about how good the chemistry is no matter what level they've been on.  Mayo is really happy that he's getting closer and closer to the Majors quickly, as opposed to having gone to Florida where he'd committed.  Both seemed really grateful to be playing professional baseball for a living but both also seemed hell bent on getting the Majors and succeeding there.  When asked who his favorite player was, Mayo said he couldn't ever ask for a better, harder working, better example player than Ortiz.  Joey fist-bumped him with a big smile after he said that, pretty cool moment. 

Both were very friendly to both old ladies like me and the young kids - even the creepy young autograph seeker with a Hemple jersey on. 

I took my five year old to meet Ortiz and Mayo and take a photo when they were on the roof deck. They were great with him because he was nervous, giving him high fives and talking to him. I’ll be rooting for them. I also thought it was a good event, and am glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 1

I made it out and it was an amazing day! Loved listening to all the interviews, enjoyed some great food, toured the ballpark, sat in the grounds crew seats, took some pics on the field, got a pic with the WS trophy, and, best of all, took batting practice against Al Bumbry!!! Hit a bunch of line drives and a few fly balls. Such a blast!

• Like 1