Ramon Urias Win His First Gold Glove

Sydnor

This is perplexing but okay. I knew he was a decent 3B but GG seems wild, especially considering Mateo wasn’t even a finalist at his position. 

It’ll be interesting to see how Urias is used next year. I’ve been assuming he is moved to 2B with Henderson taking over 3B. But Henderson also played a bit of 2B…my gut says it’s better for a player to stick at one position than move around every night, but I don’t know if that’s true. Seems like a lot of movement is in the works. Especially considering Urias and Henderson also play SS and Mateo can’t hit. Then you’ve got multiple good SS prospects in the high minors…good problem to have. And I never would have considered Urias as a GG as being part of that problem. 

43 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Now what do they do? Gunnar is no slouch at 3B either and clearly has more upside. Urias was pretty dominant at 3B though. So we have a GG caliber left side of the infield with more great infielders knocking on the door in Norfolk, or already on the team. I sense a trade happening.  

Excellent problem to have!!! This is what GMs live for. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Agreed, although Hays and Urias are more replaceable in-house than Mullins.

This. I don’t get all the trade Cedric talk. There’s nobody in house who can play CF and there aren’t any good options in FA. 

That said, awesome to see that Ramon wins his first GG. The IF is looking very crowded. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

This. I don’t get all the trade Cedric talk. There’s nobody in house who can play CF and there aren’t any good options in FA. 

That said, awesome to see that Ramon wins his first GG. The IF is looking very crowded. 

Nimmo isn't a bad option in FA but he's going to cost a lot to replace Cedric so trading Cedric is less preferable than trading Urias, where we have a lot of in-house options (Westburg/Ortiz/Norby/Henderson/Vavra), and Hays (Stowers with Cowser hopefully ready by June/July.   If it were possible to trade Hays and/or Urias to get a #3 starter that would be tough to pass up.

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Has a gold glove winner ever not started at that position the next season?

It’s interesting that we have a FB winner at SS and a deserving GG winner at 3B, and yet we kind of want to break them up.   Stout defense on the left side of the infield is a pretty nice formula for winning (see Belanger & Brooks, Bordick & Ripken, Hardy & Machado).   I think it had a lot to do with our winning record this year, too.  Of course, Ortiz & Henderson might also be good defensively, and significantly better offensively.  But it’s not like Urias is bad offensively (103 OPS+ this year, 112 last year).   He’s just extremely underrated both offensively and defensively.  

• Upvote 2

Its a rollercoaster.    I believe some of the reason for '22 Odor was '21 Urias being bottom of the barrel at the OAA 2B rate stat where Odor excelled that year.

And now here we are.

Awards or not, I feel Mateo nearer to a defensive all-star, and Gunnar probably isn't a full-time shortstop, so the Gold Glover losing his job thing is in play.     We know from Brooks you can be split-second brilliant while lacking the foot speed for middle infield, and I think Urias' defensive returns these two years suggest he profiles like that.  

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not really that perplexing:

Rtot +12 (1st in AL)

Rdrs +14 (1st in AL)

UZR +10.9 (1st in AL)

OAA +7 (tied for 1st in AL)

All despite missing some time with injuries and mixing in a little time at 2B/SS. 

Can’t argue the numbers. I just didn’t see it coming 

Pretty funny.  Palmer was saying for the last two months of the season that Urias was playing GG defense.   This award says he knew what he was talking about.   Palmer also said the Mateo was playing out of this world defense.   He also gets an award.   Palmer opinions of looking very good about now.

Great job but Ramon, Jorge and Jim.  Congrats all around.