Ramon Urias Win His First Gold Glove

Sydnor

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Pretty funny.  Palmer was saying for the last two months of the season that Urias was playing GG defense.   This award says he knew what he was talking about.   Palmer also said the Mateo was playing out of this world defense.   He also gets an award.   Palmer opinions of looking very good about now.

Great job but Ramon, Jorge and Jim.  Congrats all around.

Everyone was saying this.

If you look at the winners it usually isn’t the flashy guys that win gold gloves partly because those guys make more errors getting to balls other guys wouldn’t touch.   Many people think gold glovers at those slick fielding Latin players.  However if you look at the 18 guys that one 14 of the 18 are American born players. Only Vlad Guerrero Canada, Andres Giminez Venezuela, Urias Mexico and Peña Dominican Republic are the only 4 international players.  Peña was born in D.R. but moved to USA as a young kid so almost all his baseball was in the U.S.A.  

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Pretty funny.  Palmer was saying for the last two months of the season that Urias was playing GG defense.   This award says he knew what he was talking about.   Palmer also said the Mateo was playing out of this world defense.   He also gets an award.   Palmer opinions of looking very good about now.

Great job but Ramon, Jorge and Jim.  Congrats all around.

I don't get why so many people complain about his announcing skills. I find him very insightful

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Many people think gold glovers at those slick fielding Latin players.  However if you look at the 18 guys that one 14 of the 18 are American born players. Only Vlad Guerrero Canada, Andres Giminez Venezuela, Urias Mexico and Peña Dominican Republic are the only 4 international players.  Peña was born in D.R. but moved to USA as a young kid so almost all his baseball was in the U.S.A.  

Who are the many people who think Gold Gloves usually go to slick fielding Latin players?  Gold Gloves go to all kinds of players.  Sometimes because they deserve to win, sometimes despite evidence that they don’t deserve to win. But I think we are well past the point where highest fielding percentage decides who wins the Gold Glove.  

20 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Has a gold glove winner ever not started at that position the next season?

How many Gold Gloves have gone to someone who didn't start 100 games at the position in a non-strike year (non-pitcher, non-utility player category)?

We don't know what Urias' future holds, but it's not inconceivable that he ends up at second base next year.  Which could lead to him playing second the rest of his career.  So it's not crazy to think he'll have a Gold Glove at third base in the only year he ever regularly played there, and he only started 84 games at the position.  That would be some kind of wild SABR 2040 convention trivia question.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

18 hours ago, bpilktree said:

If you look at the winners it usually isn’t the flashy guys that win gold gloves partly because those guys make more errors getting to balls other guys wouldn’t touch.   Many people think gold glovers at those slick fielding Latin players.  However if you look at the 18 guys that one 14 of the 18 are American born players. Only Vlad Guerrero Canada, Andres Giminez Venezuela, Urias Mexico and Peña Dominican Republic are the only 4 international players.  Peña was born in D.R. but moved to USA as a young kid so almost all his baseball was in the U.S.A.  

And Vlad is 260 pounds and a well below-average fielder, not Ozzie Guillen.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Didn't Raffy win a GG at 1B one year when he predominantly played DH?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

Yes, in 1999.  Under the old GG voting scheme of some random dude asking the coaches to throw out names of people they remember playing good defense that year.  It's a miracle that Jimmy Carter or John Belushi didn't win one.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yes, in 1999.  Under the old GG voting scheme of some random dude asking the coaches to throw out names of people they remember playing good defense that year.  It's a miracle that Jimmy Carter or John Belushi didn't win one.

John Belushi didn't....but I seem to remember that Chico Escuela won one.....I think it was 1979 or 80.  Or maybe he should have and was robbed. ;) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ledzepp8 said:

That was my reaction as well. I know when I was looking at him during O's Jays games this year, he looked capable, but I just don't see GG when I watch him.

The tracking systems don't, either.  Statcast OAA over the four years of his career: -20, -2, -3, -4.  Tied for 27th in the Majors in OAA at first.

There's only a spread of maybe eight runs between best in the AL and Vlad, but still.  The GG system largely ignores the state-of-the-art metrics.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The tracking systems don't, either.  Statcast OAA over the four years of his career: -20, -2, -3, -4.  Tied for 27th in the Majors in OAA at first.

There's only a spread of maybe eight runs between best in the AL and Vlad, but still.  The GG system largely ignores the state-of-the-art metrics.

DRS had him +3.   All the other advanced metrics had him below average.   

Sitting on the throne watching Urias fielding highlights on Youtube. Playing deep and five feet off the line. Batter hits a bullet just inside the line to his right , a one-hopper that he dives for catching the ball behind him, gets up and throws to first for the out. Just an amazing play. Melanie Newman on the call: "Hernandez short ground ball Urias buries it throws to first...". I was watching it and still was confused. Is she back again next year? Please no.

Edited by Etch