So...uh, when does free agency start?

Bahama O's Fan

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I hear you.

In general I think the sport was better when you had starters go deeper into games. Now we get 7 innings here and there and it’s a big deal.  It’s fun to see a starter try to finish a close game off. We still have great starters in the sport but it’s not like the old days. The industry has mastered the art of finding and developing hard throwers. I understand it all from a strategic standpoint. I just liked it better back then. 

It's advances on both sides.

Can you imagine how starters would get lit up if they had to go nine against today's hitters?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's advances on both sides.

Can you imagine how starters would get lit up if they had to go nine against today's hitters?

I get it.  No question the offensive game is much different. Back then K’s were this awful way to make an out, now it’s not a big deal. 

Its the ability to carry your stuff deep into games. I do think there is something to developing that. They don’t really try to do that anymore. Bigger, stronger hitters. Different hitting philosophies. When money really took off there was the risk concern with arms. Bunch of reasons. 

I like HR’s but I think it was a better game in the 80’s. Saw more athleticism in the field. More steals. Ball put in play more. 

I still love the sport and strategy.  Things change and it’s still a great game. 

6 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

What about Brandon Drury to play 2nd base? He’d be upgrade offensively over Odor.

Better offensively but not sure about defensively. I really hope the bar for our starting 2B next year isn't to make sure we have someone who is better than Odor.

Matthew Boyd I would not have guessed for $10mm, but that's the report on his return to DET for a 1-year make good reset.

I guess that Disney cash helps.

It'll be interesting to see where the 30-team spend for 2023 ends up post-pandemic + CBA.    To previous points about salaries staying flat the last many years, my Cot's download gives MLB-wide payrolls (in millions) 2017-2022 as:

4089, 4054, 4001, xxxx, 3825, 4373.       Covid 2020 xxxx was 1695.

This year's Jon Gray might cost a decent percentage more than last year's Jon Gray just by Going Rates.     Passing 4500 would pass $150mm as an average team's MLB payroll.