Eovaldi vs Bassitt

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

“Our plan for this offseason has always been to significantly escalate the payroll,” GM Mike Elias said in an appearance on The Front Office Show on MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM.  “I think a lot of that’s going to come through our own guys going into arbitration, but also we plan to explore free agency much more aggressively.  We plan to maybe make some buy trades for some guys that are either on contracts or kind of in the tail-end of their arbitration.”  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/gm-mike-elias-orioles-will-significantly-escalate-the-payroll-during-offseason.html

Like I’ve said about 100 times now, I’ll judge whether he lived up to his words when the offseason is over.   

Kudos to you, far more patient with this team than I am at this point. I gave them patience and support through the rebuild, it's time for results -- that's how I see it.

1 minute ago, Es4M11 said:

Kudos to you, far more patient with this team than I am at this point. I gave them patience and support through the rebuild, it's time for results -- that's how I see it.

The time to judge the offseason is at the end of the offseason, that’s how I see it. I’m not suggesting I’m happy about where things stand.  But just like I don’t declare a pennant winner in May, I don’t decide how our offseason was in mid-December.   

I could even go further - what I really care about is seeing continued on-field progress in 2023, however that happens.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Watching Os fans freak out over losing Chris Bassitt is hilarious.

I wanted him.  At the end of the day, he’s a 33 year old pitcher (34 by Opening Day) who’s thrown 162+ innings once in his career, and 100+ innings only three times.   Not exactly a sure thing to produce at ages 34-36.   I would have matched that deal, but I’m not hysterical about not getting him.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wanted him.  At the end of the day, he’s a 33 year old pitcher (34 by Opening Day) who’s thrown 162+ innings once in his career, and 100+ innings only three times.   Not exactly a sure thing to produce at ages 34-36.   I would have matched that deal, but I’m not hysterical about not getting him.  

He would have been a good add.  Our playoff hopes didn’t end because we failed to sign him.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The time to judge the offseason is at the end of the offseason, that’s how I see it. I’m not suggesting I’m happy about where things stand.  But just like I don’t declare a pennant winner in May, I don’t decide how our offseason was in mid-December.   

I could even go further - what I really care about is seeing continued on-field progress in 2023, however that happens.  

What I care about is seeing a franchise putting their best foot forward. I'll respectfully remind you, one could argue it was the Orioles performance in April and May that cost them a playoff berth in 2022.

This team is very short on goodwill from the fan base, if you ask me. I don't think they deserve a pass on anything anymore. As great as his tenure has developed to this point, Mike Elias' time here hasn't been perfect, and I think it's fair to really start to be harsh in grading him from here on out. He's been on the job 4 years now. And his biggest signing to date is Kyle Gibson on a 1yr deal for 10mm or Jordan Lyles the year prior -- take your pick.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

What I care about is seeing a franchise putting their best foot forward. I'll respectfully remind you, one could argue it was the Orioles performance in April and May that cost them a playoff berth in 2022.

This team is very short on goodwill from the fan base, if you ask me. I don't think they deserve a pass on anything anymore. As great as his tenure has developed to this point, Mike Elias' time here hasn't been perfect, and I think it's fair to really start to be harsh in grading him from here on out. He's been on the job 4 years now. And his biggest signing to date is Kyle Gibson on a 1yr deal for 10mm or Jordan Lyles the year prior -- take your pick.

Who asked for a pass?

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I definitely agree with your last sentence. I get frustrated with the lack of moves so far, but I'm really excited to see some of the other additions from the MiL to start the season.

I was probably wrong, but I thought more of Westburg than I did of Henderson in the early goings of their careers.

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Watching Os fans freak out over losing Chris Bassitt is hilarious.

I 100% agree with you. I am not freaking out at all, but can see how every signing makes people a little bit more uneasy about ownership’s desire to financially support the efforts of management to win.

Edited by Sydnor
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

“Our plan for this offseason has always been to significantly escalate the payroll,” GM Mike Elias said in an appearance on The Front Office Show on MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM.  “I think a lot of that’s going to come through our own guys going into arbitration, but also we plan to explore free agency much more aggressively.  We plan to maybe make some buy trades for some guys that are either on contracts or kind of in the tail-end of their arbitration.”  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/gm-mike-elias-orioles-will-significantly-escalate-the-payroll-during-offseason.html

Like I’ve said about 100 times now, I’ll judge whether he lived up to his words when the offseason is over.   

If payroll increases $10M, that would be around a 25% increase which they would argue is significant.   Meanwhile, in NY, the Mets penalty would exceed the payroll of 6 teams, and Ken Rosenthal thinks there should be more owners like him.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m willing to bet that next year that 2/3 of Bradish, Kremer, and Voth, put up better a ERA+ than Bassitt. 

The reality is that we need to live of our farm system and depth until the trade deadline. 

Only to be sellers at the deadline again because we "don't match up well" 

We finish with 78 wins and then next offseason its rinse -repeat excuses