Eovaldi vs Bassitt

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, deward said:

For only 3 years, I really, really don't understand why Elias couldn't have beaten that offer. There's no realistic target on the trade market that's better than Bassitt, and all he cost was money. I just don't get it. 

He did also cost a pick.

I don't think that should have stopped Elias mind you.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So like I thought, he wasn’t getting the 4th year.  He got a little higher AAV than I thought he would get but not by much.

I can’t say I would have beaten this offer but I would have considered matching it.

Eovaldi should sign for less and the Os should be all over that.

Eovaldi and/or Lopez at this point, or it will be more pathetic offseason failures for this team. 

4 minutes ago, deward said:

For only 3 years, I really, really don't understand why Elias couldn't have beaten that offer. There's no realistic target on the trade market that's better than Bassitt, and all he cost was money. I just don't get it. 

I don't either. I'm baffled and this makes me think the whole "we're willing to spend" line was nothing more than PR BS. 

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Chicken or the egg?  Attendance goes up when you stop sucking, not the other way around (I know you know that). 

They didn’t suck last year.  They probably won’t suck this year.  I expect attendance will be up, depending on how the season goes.  

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So like I thought, he wasn’t getting the 4th year.  He got a little higher AAV than I thought he would get but not by much.

I can’t say I would have beaten this offer but I would have considered matching it.

Eovaldi should sign for less and the Os should be all over that.

What have you seen that makes you think they'll pay market rate for Eovaldi?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I can't imagine they have any expectation of Mateo going back to being a regular. If he's going on his annual hot streak, then it's smart to ride him until he gasses out, then shift him back to his reserve role. Holliday is taking that full-time spot soon enough. 
    • Urias has a career 103 OPS+. Had two hits and a walk today plus another squared up ball for an out. I feel like Urias is a bit of a forgotten man, but he is a very solid defender and an average bat. That's probably not good enough for us but that is because we are spoiled with plus guys at basically every position. I agree on Westburg though, if Mayo doesn't end up with 3B, Westburg is adequate there and so far his bat can play for a corner IF.  Hitting on Westburg and Gunnar the way we have really pushes our system over the top. These are guys we weren't necessarily counting on but they are turning into bona fide stars. Only question is how to find room for them all. Westburg 3B makes Mayo the heir apparent at 1B. Somehow he needs to push Mountcastle but he's not a FA until 2027. Maybe he takes Santander's spot and Kjerstad keeps waiting. 
    • Interesting.  You know Gunnar and De La Cruz are the same age, yet Gunnar's put up 9.4 career WAR to poor Elly's 2.7.  If anyone was overrated during the last series it was Nick Lodolo.
    • I wondered about that too.  Maybe he'll take his turn on the IL when Grayson is ready to return.  
    • It’s silly to be judging Bradfield at this stage.  I don’t know if he’ll be good or not, but I know you need to give him a couple of months at least before you have any clue.
    • Anyone else notice Kremer shaking his hand or fingers the last couple games and looking like he’s in pain?  I’m surprised Ben and Kevin didn’t pick up on it today.  It looked obvious to me.
    • Povich is a starter. It makes no sense to bring him up and put him in Baumann’s role. Especially not in a short term situation when he’s pitching so well starting in Norfolk.    also - it kind of feels like Baumann is just a placeholder. When wells and/or Grayson come back, there isn’t another logical move other than maybe option akin, who has pitched dramatically better than Baumann. But I can’t imagine Baumann surviving both wells and Grayson coming back without another injury.    I don’t think Elias is doing anything crazy other than holding onto assets with value until it’s necessary to let them go. Is Tate probably better in the long term? Yeah. But he’s also coming off a year long injury and they don’t want to overuse him. Let them use his option for the flexibility, manage his innings, let Baumann either prove he can rediscover early 2023 form or get dfa’d in the coming weeks while eating whatever innings we need him to. Not like he’s costing us games at the moment.
  • Popular Contributors