Eovaldi vs Bassitt

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I understood that.  I’m not sure everyone did.

Its an obvious fact that a team with 2.5 mm in attendance can afford a higher payroll than a team with 1.4 mm in attendance.  It’s also an obvious fact that, even at 1.4 mm attendance, the Orioles can afford to bump payroll up pretty significantly.  They reportedly had $83 mm in operating income in 2021, and 2022 was probably higher than that.  2019 also was quite stout, though 2020 was a loser thanks to the pandemic.  So the O’s certainly can afford to ramp up payroll for 2023, and I still expect them to do it, even though they haven’t done it yet and a number of options are now off the table.  

How much do you think they’ll ramp up payroll for 2023? 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I understood that.  I’m not sure everyone did.

Its an obvious fact that a team with 2.5 mm in attendance can afford a higher payroll than a team with 1.4 mm in attendance.  It’s also an obvious fact that, even at 1.4 mm attendance, the Orioles can afford to bump payroll up pretty significantly.  They reportedly had $83 mm in operating income in 2021, and 2022 was probably higher than that.  2019 also was quite stout, though 2020 was a loser thanks to the pandemic.  So the O’s certainly can afford to ramp up payroll for 2023, and I still expect them to do it, even though they haven’t done it yet and a number of options are now off the table.  

Question.

Will the O's payroll increase as much as the average payroll from 2022-2023?

If it increases below the league average of increase you (or me, it will be me) could make the case that the O's payroll went down relative to the league.

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

How much do you think they’ll ramp up payroll for 2023? 

In the poll that was conducted, I voted that payroll would be between $80-100 mm.   I now think it could be lower than $80 mm because so many of the more expensive pitchers are off the market.  But we’ll see.   

4 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Dude, it's fine.

We can just sign Chris Archer and instantly turn him back into an ace.

That's what ownership wants the fans to think... or that Austin Voth can repeat his unexpected success from 2022, so why fork over millions of dollars for someone with a proven track record? 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Question.

If it increases below the league average of increase you (or me, it will be me) could make the case that the O's payroll went down relative to the league.

You wouldn’t need to make that case, as it would be an irrefutable fact.  

I certainly believe the O’s payroll should increase relative to the league average.  Elias didn’t say it would, nor can I say that it will with any degree of confidence.   But I hope it will.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In the poll that was conducted, I voted that payroll would be between $80-100 mm.   I now think it could be lower than $80 mm because so many of the more expensive pitchers are off the market.  But we’ll see.   

Yeah it definitely appears to be much lower than 80. If not for arbitration increases, I’d say it looks like payroll would  actually decrease. It’s shameful the way these owners refuse to put any money into the team. MLB really needs to start looking into a forced sale. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Question.

Will Orioles payroll went down because they didn't keep Mancini ,Lopez and Lyles. That's 26 mm. or  so off the books from late season trades and not picking up Lyles. Will they spend 26 mm.  on free agents this year?

5 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I hope we at least matched that, or even went a little bit beyond it, and Bassitt chose the Blue Jays over us.  Otherwise this is a bit disappointing.  

I doubt we ever even submitted an offer.

Just now, Yardball85 said:

That's what ownership wants the fans to think... or that Austin Voth can repeat his unexpected success from 2022, so why fork over millions of dollars for someone with a proven track record? 

We're almost at the point where I don't even care if we add a second starter.

Is, like, Michael Pineda really going to make us any better next year?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Yeah it definitely appears to be much lower than 80. If not for arbitration increases, I’d say it looks like payroll would  actually decrease. It’s shameful the way these owners refuse to put any money into the team. MLB really needs to start looking into a forced sale. 

Like I keep saying, the offseason is two months from being over.  Plenty of time left to spend money on players.   Just not as many choices.   I also want to remind people of what Elias said in October: “This is the time to start to make more significant investments in the major-league payroll whether that comes in the form of free agents or kind of buy-side trades, I don’t know yet, but I would expect one, if not both of those types of those activities from us.”

So, Elias definitely didn’t promise big free agent signings.   He did promise “significant investments in the major-league payroll.”   If he goes through the winter and this doesn’t happen, I’ll join the chorus of complainers.  But not until then.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Like 2