Eovaldi vs Bassitt

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, deward said:

What have you seen that makes you think they'll pay market rate for Eovaldi?

Nothing but that means nothing because Elias keeps things so close.  I mean, they did pay 10M to a guy coming off of  a 5 ERA and it appears they aren’t looking to move Mullins or especially Santander because of money.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They didn’t suck last year.  They probably won’t suck this year.  I expect attendance will be up, depending on how the season goes.  

Last season was a feel good story. This year expectations will be higher (and rightfully so). If they don't improve their starting rotation I'd say there's a very good chance they regress. 

Honestly, after 4 years of spending the absolute bare minimum on the major league team, to be back to dumpster diving in 2022/2023 is pretty demoralizing as a fan. One would think that they should have some money to spend, this year, next year, etc. Yet here we are again.

Elais has said he doesn't want to mortgage the future by over-paying for free agents. Yet if he has any hope of improving the rotation at this point it will almost certainly have to be via trade. SO instead of just spending money, the Orioles will now likely have to spend money, and prospects. How is improving the rotation via trade better than signing a guy Bassit for 3yr/63mm? That contract should have been very doable for the Orioles with all the cash they are theoretically sitting on. Hell if it goes bad it's only on the books for 3 years and the orioles could eat the whole thing before the rest of the roster gets very expensive.

Cheap, that's what they are. it's beyond frustrating at this point. Going forward, I would prefer Mike Elias just not open his mouth regarding free agency, cause I believe he is not speaking honestly with fans, and only paying lip service. He has had to walk back his words on a few occasions already, and it looks as though he is going to fail at his stated goal of upgrading the rotation.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not as if they were just handed 30M last week or something.

I’m going to keep saying this, but getting a one-time buyout payment is not necessarily better than getting dividends ad infinitum.  In fact, you can be confident that Disney thinks they are better off doing the buyout, or they wouldn’t have exercised their option to do it.  

I’m a limited partner in a real estate investment that the general partner has decided to sell.   I’ll be getting a very nice payout, but honestly, I’d rather have just kept getting dividend checks year after year.   

3 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Honestly, after 4 years of spending the absolute bare minimum on the major league team, to be back to dumpster diving in 2022/2023 is pretty demoralizing as a fan. One would think that they should have some money to spend, this year, next year, etc. Yet here we are again.

Elais has said he doesn't want to mortgage the future by over-paying for free agents. Yet if he has any hope of improving the rotation at this point it will almost certainly have to be via trade. SO instead of just spending money, the Orioles will now likely have to spend money, and prospects. How is improving the rotation via trade better than signing a guy Bassit for 3yr/63mm? That contract should have been very doable for the Orioles with all the cash they are theoretically sitting on. Hell if it goes bad it's only on the books for 3 years and the orioles could eat the whole thing before the rest of the roster gets very expensive.

Cheap, that's what they are. it's beyond frustrating at this point. Going forward, I would prefer Mike Elias just not open his mouth regarding free agency, cause I believe he is not speaking honestly with fans, and only paying lip service. He has had to walk back his words on a few occasions already, and it looks as though he is going to fail at his stated goal of upgrading the rotation.

I really blame the Angeloses a lot more than I blame Elias, but I agree with your post. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Lol I’ve been saying for months that you guys shouldn’t be surprised if Elias doesn’t spend much money in free agency. But even I’m a bit surprised and how pathetic this has been. 

You wanted to give Bassitt that kind of contract?

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

I really blame the Angeloses a lot more than I blame Elias, but I agree with your post. 

I know its the Angelos' at the heart of it. That said, Mike Elias seems to have been speaking out of turn a few times here and there. Both parties suck right now if you ask me.

Can;t get this team away from that family fast enough.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m going to keep saying this, but getting a one-time buyout payment is not necessarily better than getting dividends ad infinitum.  In fact, you can be confident that Disney thinks they are better off doing the buyout, or they wouldn’t have exercised their option to do it.  

I’m a limited partner in a real estate investment that the general partner has decided to sell.   I’ll be getting a very nice payout, but honestly, I’d rather have just kept getting dividend checks year after year.   

Or course it isn't.

And in the grand scheme of things 30M isn't a lot of money for a MLB team.

But it isn't a good look if they get that type of payment and don't appear to invest any of it into the team.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

reinvest those newfound gains back into more dividend paying assets. Sure you were in your comfort zone, but this may be an opportunity at the end of the day. I know you know this, just saying

3 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

I know its the Angelos' at the heart of it. That said, Mike Elias seems to have been speaking out of turn a few times here and there. Both parties suck right now if you ask me.

I think Elias said what he really thought/hoped ownership would let him do, and had to backtrack when the Angeloses called him into their office to say, um, actually, we don't want to spend any of our money on improving the team via free agency. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Es4M11 said:

I'm just thinking back to when Elias was hired and folks were telling me that he wouldn't have taken the job if ownership wasn't willing to spend and how he'd have total control and so on and so forth.

These jobs are hard to come by.