“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Probably.   Crazy to think Manny wouldn’t be happy with the 5/$150 mm coming to him, but he’ll have more leverage at age 31 (assuming he has a good year) than at age 36.   My guess would have been that he’d be angling for an extension from the Padres, but now with this Bogaerts signing I’m not sure they’ll be up for it.   So, we could see Manny on the market next offseason.  

The Padres sport pages would lead one to believe they want to keep Manny, and not see him use his opt out.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Debate this !

I don’t have a subscription to The Athletic so I can’t access the contents of the article. But people who are upset that Connolly had the never to criticism the team, I ask you - What did you expect? 

Doesn’t the media have a responsibility to hold the team accountable? Or should the only write what the team wants them and never criticize him? IMO criticism is fair in the scenario given the org’s history over the last 4 years of not spending anything and then Elias’ prior comments about “lift off”. 

And for this trying to spin what he said, are you aware that he said it on multiple occasions on different outlets including off the top of my memory - WBAL (during a game broadcast), a press conference, MLB network radio, MLB network when he was interview by Christopher Mad Dog Russo.

It wasn’t a one off where he mistakenly said something unintentionally. And he said it months ago. Are you telling me (or yourself) that after all those occasions and after all those times, that he just realized (during the Winter Meetings coincidentally) “Oops I shouldn’t have said that. That’s not what I meant”?

Same quotes now up in today’s Sun article.   Included in another post.

The challenge is the “updated” Elias’ talking points.   He has tweaked what he said a few months ago.  The first part of the quote below is what bothers me - “There are teams and markets out there that are frankly just hard to keep up with…”

Acknowledging up front that you may not be able to “keep up” with teams and markets is not what an Orioles fan wants to hear.  We are not Tampa Bay or Oakland or the Cubs for that matter. This is a franchise that has a rich history of competing and being one of the best and most highly regarded teams in baseball, with a stadium that changed the game and sports stadiums for that matter.  

Yes recent years have not matched that rich history but we got a small inkling during the Andy/Buck/DD years of what it could be until it imploded.    Elias needs to sell a vision, hope, season tickets if he is going to be the voice of the franchise for now.  He is not head of communications or a PR spokesperson!    Mike you raised the wall to attract pitchers, you built a foundation of young talent that is the envy of baseball.   Finish the job and set the team up to not just compete but win in 2023.  Overpay for a couple of key FA’s - it won’t destroy what you built.  Pack the stadium, get into the playoffs and re-imagine Orioles magic.

“There are teams and markets out there that are frankly just hard to keep up with, but there’s other teams and markets that look the way that Baltimore does that have really healthy and successful programs, and it might involve us looking a little bit more like those, at least in the short term, until the business is built back up. But there’s ways to have a very healthy Orioles franchise for the next 10, 15, 20 years, and that’s kind of what we’re transitioning ourselves into.”

Edited by Pat Kelly

20 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t have a subscription to The Athletic so I can’t access the contents of the article. But people who are upset that Connolly had the never to criticism the team, I ask you - What did you expect? 

Doesn’t the media have a responsibility to hold the team accountable? Or should the only write what the team wants them and never criticize him? IMO criticism is fair in the scenario given the org’s history over the last 4 years of not spending anything and then Elias’ prior comments about “lift off”. 

And for this trying to spin what he said, are you aware that he said it on multiple occasions on different outlets including off the top of my memory - WBAL (during a game broadcast), a press conference, MLB network radio, MLB network when he was interview by Christopher Mad Dog Russo.

It wasn’t a one off where he mistakenly said something unintentionally. And he said it months ago. Are you telling me (or yourself) that after all those occasions and after all those times, that he just realized (during the Winter Meetings coincidentally) “Oops I shouldn’t have said that. That’s not what I meant”?

We could go around in circles as to what Elias "promised".    The only thing I heard him say he was going to do was add one pitcher (this was before they non-tendered Lyle).   After the Lyle signing he said he expected to sign or trade for a #1-#3 pitcher.  He also said he expected to add "two bats".   He was never specific about the bat until recently when he said one of the bats would be considered a "regular" on par with Hays/Mullins/Santander and rotate with those three in the outfield and DH spots.

It is December 8.  I'm certainly going to give him time to come through on those.   If you expected Rodon and/or Correa that is fine but he never hinted at that, as far as I'm concerned.   He said we would be aggressive in FA.    We would probably agree that that rings hollow with only Gibson in the fold.   Again, it's December 8.   Connolly said the big "IF".    That IF means IF nothing significant is done between now and ST.   Sure, but there's a lot of time between now and ST and I'm pretty confident that Elias is going to deliver on the pitcher and the hitter.    Maybe I'll be underwhelmed like I was with Gibson.   We'll see.   But as others have said it's very premature to be declaring that Elias didn't come through.

Connolly did the correction interview right? So this one I assume is questioning the correction. I think John Angelos pulled back the budget on Elias. To not throw the Angelos family under the bus he covered for them with the I was misunderstood thing. Since Elias is pretty clear about the plan before that I think it’s fair to assume that is what happened. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Connolly did the correction interview right? So this one I assume is questioning the correction. I think John Angelos pulled back the budget on Elias. To not throw the Angelos family under the bus he covered for them with the I was misunderstood thing. Since Elias is pretty clear about the plan before that I think it’s fair to assume that is what happened. 

Ok.  If it was so clear, maybe you can tell us what that plan was?

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We could go around in circles as to what Elias "promised".    The only thing I heard him say he was going to do was add one pitcher (this was before they non-tendered Lyle).   After the Lyle signing he said he expected to sign or trade for a #1-#3 pitcher.  He also said he expected to add "two bats".   He was never specific about the bat until recently when he said one of the bats would be considered a "regular" on par with Hays/Mullins/Santander and rotate with those three in the outfield and DH spots.

Did he say MOO when it came to one of the bats?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Did he say MOO when it came to one of the bats?

I don't believe he did.  I never read him say that or heard him say that.   I've never seen him be specific about the bat(s) until the other night when he said it would be someone who would be equivalent to Hays/Mullins/Santander and share time with them in the OF and DH.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I don't believe he did.  I never read him say that or heard him say that.   I've never seen him be specific about the bat(s) until the other night when he said it would be someone who would be equivalent to Hays/Mullins/Santander and share time with them in the OF and DH.

OK, I think I remember seeing it but I wasn't sure.  Of course MOO technically means 4-6 and not as if a guy hitting 6th is a huge offensive threat for most teams.