Shintaro Fujinami

Frobby

Fuji set a new velocity record for a Japanese pitcher today. He was one pitch away from an immaculate inning, with the last pitch getting a soft popup.

Glad to see him get tested in a high pressure spot and succeed. The playoff bullpen is a lot better if he can be trusted as an 8th inning option.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Fuji set a new velocity record for a Japanese pitcher today. He was one pitch away from an immaculate inning, with the last pitch getting a soft popup.

Glad to see him get tested in a high pressure spot and succeed. The playoff bullpen is a lot better if he can be trusted as an 8th inning option.

I feel bad for DJ Stewart.

No I don't. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SilverRocket said:

Came here to say this. It wasn't quite as high-leverage as his meltdown appearances were, but pitching with a 2-run lead is still high leverage if you ask me. Big spot, flawless result. Hopefully the shot in the arm he needed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

Came here to say this. It wasn't quite as high-leverage as his meltdown appearances were, but pitching with a 2-run lead is still high leverage if you ask me. Big spot, flawless result. Hopefully the shot in the arm he needed.

Fujinami in his brief stint here looks better coming to start a clean inning. Bringing him in the middle of an inning with runners on base makes me nervous and needs to be avoided come playoff time.

I think Fujinami has the arm to be that guy who can come with runners on 2B and 3B with one out, but not yet. Maybe the Orioles pitching lab can make him that guy before the season ends.

1 hour ago, G54377 said:

What kind of deal would even be appropriate? I have no idea how to gauge his potential market. If he has key moments in the playoffs that will only drive up the price. 

Maybe 2/8?  2/10?  That would be very close to a top salary in Japan and would account for the risk that his control problems come back.  But it would be a steal if he performs.

On 8/3/2023 at 2:59 PM, ExileAngelos said:

I would like to know if Rodriguez was truly gassed or if he was not allowed to finish the inning because of the idiotic 100 pitches and your arm falls off mentality.

Yea, when in doubt I always assume that the people in charge of the team with the best record in the league in 2023 are really stupid and will blindly follow dumb rules of thumb because they just don't understand baseball as well as some anonymous dudes on the internet.

• Haha 3

I don't know what to make of Fuji because of his "box of chocolates" game log. Obviously he was about as impressive as a pitcher can be being one pitch away from an immaculate inning, but that's just an outing away of him melting down by hitting two runners with the bases loaded. 

If Fuji can bring the good him to the mound a lot more often than the bad Fuji, the Orioles have a legitimate late inning guy. But I need to see some consistency over at least 4 to 5 outings before I'll start to get comfortable with him in high leverage situations.

51 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't know what to make of Fuji because of his "box of chocolates" game log. Obviously he was about as impressive as a pitcher can be being one pitch away from an immaculate inning, but that's just an outing away of him melting down by hitting two runners with the bases loaded. 

If Fuji can bring the good him to the mound a lot more often than the bad Fuji, the Orioles have a legitimate late inning guy. But I need to see some consistency over at least 4 to 5 outings before I'll start to get comfortable with him in high leverage situations.

I agree we need more clean innings, the more telling thing to me was that he pitched the 8th instead of Cano.     Could this be more about resting Cano, or expanding the role of Fuji.     The best answer is probably a little bit of both…

Edited by Keygans

On 8/3/2023 at 2:59 PM, ExileAngelos said:

I would like to know if Rodriguez was truly gassed or if he was not allowed to finish the inning because of the idiotic 100 pitches and your arm falls off mentality.

Hyde needs to get 10 more starts out of each of his starters until post season.  He's going to treat them very carefully.  So far it has worked great.  

1 hour ago, Keygans said:

I agree we need more clean innings, the more telling thing to me was that he pitched the 8th instead of Cano.     Could this be more about resting Cano, or expanding the role of Fuji.     The best answer is probably a little bit of both…

Yeah, Hyde said he was resting both Cano and Coulombe yesterday. Fuji did the job yesterday spectacularly. Now we just need to see him do it more consistently even if not so spectacularly.

When he comes in with runners already on, it’s been a disaster. When he comes in at the start of the inning it’s been great. Maybe to small a sample size to call it a pattern, but if I’m Hyde it’s something I’m paying attention to