Roch talks winter meetings

Sports Guy

The Orioles will be linked to pretty much everyone based on the vow to be more aggressive this winter and to increase payroll – the lobby buzz will be deafening - but much of that money is set aside for arbitration raises. They’re at the stage of the rebuild to begin spending more in free agency and to inherit heftier contracts, but I’ll repeat that they aren’t in hot pursuit of the big four shortstops. I'll also stand by my earlier take that they aren't being super aggressive with the top tier starting pitchers, as if primed to break the bank and leave everyone else wounded from lesser bids”

12 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Poor guy, they really don’t tell him anything… but hey at least they are sending him San Diego for the meetings.  After he had to fly himself to spring training last year that seems like an improvement. 

He’ll complain about it anyway.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, tabletop said:

“much of that money is set aside for arbitration raises.”

They keep telling us this but some people just will not listen.

Then he really has no budget. Including Santander the arb raises are only like 10-15 million. So “much” what does he have to work with? $20 million? Then with Gibson he’s down to 10-15 million? There is no top of the rotation pitcher for that and how in the hell do you add 2 bats? I don’t think he has a clue honestly.

Mewleski 

As it relates to the Orioles, here is what we do know: not very much.

I think they prefer it that way. Orioles executive vice president and general manager Mike Elias likes to play it close to the vest, as we know. That is not likely to change anytime soon. He doesn’t see any advantage in letting information leak out. And at a time when social media will spread almost any rumor rapidly with little accountability, all is mostly quiet about the Orioles.

There is no reason to jump to the conclusion that that means the Orioles will have a quiet winter. That seems very, very unlikely. In fact, Elias himself has said the payroll will increase and additions will be sought both for the rotation and the batting order. We are all waiting to find out what that means, exactly, and how much the payroll will increase and in what ways.

Edited by Roll Tide

1 hour ago, tabletop said:

“much of that money is set aside for arbitration raises.”

They keep telling us this but some people just will not listen.

Here’s the whole quote from Elias that Roch is paraphrasing:

“Our plan for this offseason has always been to significantly escalate the payroll,” GM Mike Elias said in an appearance on The Front Office Show on MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM.  “I think a lot of that’s going to come through our own guys going into arbitration, but also we plan to explore free agency much more aggressively.  We plan to maybe make some buy trades for some guys that are either on contracts or kind of in the tail-end of their arbitration.”

“The success…has only cemented those plans.  I’m really looking forward to the offseason and kind of a winter meetings environment where we’re buying.  I think it’s going to be a lot of fun for our group and for the organization.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/gm-mike-elias-orioles-will-significantly-escalate-the-payroll-during-offseason.html

So, interpret that as you will.   I certainly don’t take it to mean that the O’s are going to sit on their hands and treat this offseason like the last several.   Because that’s clearly not what he said.   

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think he might actually take pleasure in these "pour cold water on everything" posts.

But I've been saying from the beginning we are not really in on Rodon or any of the SS. Roch could at least leave a glimmer of hope just for fun though. 

He being Elias or Roch? Lol could be either one. 

The SS rumors never made any sense and we're never floated by anyone with a source. Rodon makes a bit more sense and I can imagine us being "in" in some sense. 

As much as I love me some Trea Turner, why in the world would the O's be interested in any of the 4 FA SS? Their farm system is full of impact middle infielders including a recent 1/1 draft pick. I think all of us should be relieved that they looking elsewhere.

deGrom is off the market at a remarkable (some would say stupid) price. Verlander is almost certainly going to NY to one team or another. Rodon will be expensive and therefore risky. But he's good, he's left handed and he doesn't cost prospects. I say the kick the tires but aren't likely to pay the price. So I'm not holding my breath for a ToR FA starter.

I hope the recent statement by the Brewers that they are not trading Burnes is just pre-trade postering. He's the only realistic ToR starter I see the O's obtaining. It will require a ton of prospects but It makes the most sense, IMHO. The winter meeting are the time when these types of trades are structured. Im hoping for the best.

• Upvote 1

Elias said a #1-#3 starter. He wasn’t specific on the bats being starter types or Franchy Cordero types.   He can’t sell Gibson as a #3 starter.  He can’t sell Andrew Heaney as a proven #3 starter.   It seems unlikely they go 4 years for Bassitt or Taillon.   He’s consistently mentioned the trade option.  He’s got plenty of chips.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Elias said a #1-#3 starter. He wasn’t specific on the bats being starter types or Franchy Cordero types.   He can’t sell Gibson as a #3 starter.  He can’t sell Andrew Heaney as a proven #3 starter.   It seems unlikely they go 4 years for Bassitt or Taillon.   He’s consistently mentioned the trade option.  He’s got plenty of chips.

One thing about the Gibson acquisition is that it frees up Elias to include a pitcher in any trade discussions.  Let’s say there’s a team that is willing to trade us a good SP but they want a young SP with some upside back.  We now have the flexibility to consider trading someone who’s made some starts for this team (Hall/Bradish/Kremer/Voth/Wells) and we’d still have good pitching depth following the trade.   

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think he might actually take pleasure in these "pour cold water on everything" posts.

But I've been saying from the beginning we are not really in on Rodon or any of the SS. Roch could at least leave a glimmer of hope just for fun though. 

Then people would cry that he was giving our poor info. 

I know it’s not the case anymore but the media is supposed to report the truth. I don’t want made up bs from Roch just to appease people who don’t understand how things work.

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s the whole quote from Elias that Roch is paraphrasing:

“Our plan for this offseason has always been to significantly escalate the payroll,” GM Mike Elias said in an appearance on The Front Office Show on MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM.  “I think a lot of that’s going to come through our own guys going into arbitration, but also we plan to explore free agency much more aggressively.  We plan to maybe make some buy trades for some guys that are either on contracts or kind of in the tail-end of their arbitration.”

“The success…has only cemented those plans.  I’m really looking forward to the offseason and kind of a winter meetings environment where we’re buying.  I think it’s going to be a lot of fun for our group and for the organization.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/gm-mike-elias-orioles-will-significantly-escalate-the-payroll-during-offseason.html

So, interpret that as you will.   I certainly don’t take it to mean that the O’s are going to sit on their hands and treat this offseason like the last several.   Because that’s clearly not what he said.   

“I think a lot of that’s going to comethrough our own guys going into arbitration“

I don’t know why when Elias says he wants to increase payroll everyone takes his word seriously and gets excited but when he tells you where “a lot of that” increase is coming from he’s not be believed.

I hope they do spend. I think they should. In a perfect world they’d add 2 more starters and a hitter or two IMO. I just am going based off what Elias is saying.