Potential Trade Targets/Partners (to Aquire An "Ace")

HakunaSakata

I believe that the O’s are a contender for the playoffs as is.  The rotation is still the weak link with their share of question marks.  They lack an ace (much less two) that are needed for a short series when we’re facing more high level pitching.

For that reason, Snell has a higher ceiling than Lopez.  When he’s on and healthy, he’s among the best.  I question if the Padres are really trading him though.

Luzardo has two top shelf pitches too and has flashed glimpses.  But still hasn’t put it together over any length of time.  

Trevor Rogers has the talent too.  But his 4-seamer was hit pretty hard.  If he can throw his other pitches for strikes more often…

Gallen isn’t getting traded.  Or at  least I doubt we pay full freight.  Same with the Biebs (and I’m a believer).  

Odds are the White Sox will be sellers at the trade deadline.  Is there an opportunity now?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I believe that the O’s are a contender for the playoffs as is.  The rotation is still the weak link with their share of question marks.  They lack an ace (much less two) that are needed for a short series when we’re facing more high level pitching.

For that reason, Snell has a higher ceiling than Lopez.  When he’s on and healthy, he’s among the best.  I question if the Padres are really trading him though.

Luzardo has two top shelf pitches too and has flashed glimpses.  But still hasn’t put it together over any length of time.  

Trevor Rogers has the talent too.  But his 4-seamer was hit pretty hard.  If he can throw his other pitches for strikes more often…

Gallen isn’t getting traded.  Or at  least I doubt we pay full freight.  Same with the Biebs (and I’m a believer).  

Odds are the White Sox will be sellers at the trade deadline.  Is there an opportunity now?

Snell has been wildly inconsistent throughout his career (post Cy Young) and it has had absolutely nothing to do with his health. He also has a very small margin for error since he rarely makes it out of the fifth inning. 

Luzardo would be a nice get, but I have a hunch that he might be harder to pry away than Lopez or Rogers. Agree on Bieber, Gallen (and Woodruff for that matter, who someone else suggested). Those guys aren't getting traded. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I struggle to imagine who we'd replace Cedric with in CF and still remain competitive. After 1B it's one of the weakest positions in the organization depth wise. And there's no real chance we sign Nimmo. Can't see them handing the reigns to Cowser or opting for Hays over there.

I say all this being in favor of a Mullins for Lopez swap, but it's why I don't think it's likely.

Trade Cedric for a SP then sign Nimmo as a CF replacement? What you lose in SBs would be offset by the gain in OBP. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Trade Cedric for a SP then sign Nimmo as a CF replacement? What you lose in SBs would be offset by the gain in OBP. 

Would you prefer Nimmo and Lopez or Mullins and Bassitt? I'm not sure what the answer is, but I would bet the latter option would be cheaper (or at least a few less years for Bassitt compared to Nimmo)

16 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Snell has been wildly inconsistent throughout his career (post Cy Young) and it has had absolutely nothing to do with his health.

Why has he been wildly inconsistent?  What was he doing right for a big chunk of last year?  I honestly don’t know the answer.  But just like he’s lost “it”, he’s definitely been able to repeat what has worked for an extended period of time as well.

I’m fine (to a certain extent) about not going deep in games.  (Not saying there’s not value in going deeper in games either…). That’s where the BP steps in.  I’d rather see a pitcher battle/not throw hittable pitches.

I am surprised there isnt more talk on OH about trading Santander and Urias for a SP. 

Santander's days in the OF are numbered but teams like the Marlins would love to have a big bat like his (also Spanish Speaking which Miami loves)

Urias while being a good player both offensively and defensively (how did he win a gg?) are now expendable with more INFs on the way. Trade him while the value is high. 

I don't care what the trade machine says, Santander, Urias, and maybe B prospect should get Lopez from Miami. 

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, jamalshw said:

Would you prefer Nimmo and Lopez or Mullins and Bassitt? I'm not sure what the answer is, but I would bet the latter option would be cheaper (or at least a few less years for Bassitt compared to Nimmo)

I'd prefer the latter if I didn't have to give Bassitt a 4 or 5 year deal, which is what I think it would take to sign him. For me, it's not about the money, it's about the years. I also don't think they have a realist shot at signing Bassitt. I think the best type of starter they're likely to land is a tier below in the Taillon range. 

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Why has he been wildly inconsistent?  What was he doing right for a big chunk of last year?  I honestly don’t know the answer.  But just like he’s lost “it”, he’s definitely been able to repeat what has worked for an extended period of time as well.

I’m fine (to a certain extent) about not going deep in games.  (Not saying there’s not value in going deeper in games either…). That’s where the BP steps in.  I’d rather see a pitcher battle/not throw hittable pitches.

He's a flawed pitcher. He's had a terrible WHIP every season except for Cy Young year (which is clearly the outlier) and seems incapable of not going deep into counts. I'm not arguing against his talent, I'm just pointing out that Snell can't seem to get out of his own way and seems to be his own worst enemy. And yes, he has a potentially high ceiling, but he also has potentially low floor. 

I'm honestly not even sure why we're talking about Snell because the Padres have given no indication that they even want to trade him. He's currently penciled in as their third starter so it really doesn't seem like they have the pitching depth to really entertain trading him. 

15 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I'd prefer the latter if I didn't have to give Bassitt a 4 or 5 year deal, which is what I think it would take to sign him. For me, it's not about the money, it's about the years. I also don't think they have a realist shot at signing Bassitt. I think the best type of starter they're likely to land is a tier below in the Taillon range. 

Fair enough. I also don't think they have a realistic shot at signing Nimmo. I don't like Bassitt for 4 years (I would be surprised if he gets 5, but do think he probably gets a 4th which is 1-2 years longer than he should get). Nimmo is probably getting 6 years. 

Just now, jamalshw said:

Fair enough. I also don't think they have a realistic shot at signing Nimmo. I don't like Bassitt for 4 years (I would be surprised if he gets 5, but do think he probably gets a 4th which is 1-2 years longer than he should get). Nimmo is probably getting 6 years. 

I think they have a much more realistic shot at signing Nimmo than Bassitt. I also think Nimmo would be a huge upgrade over Hays, even if we kept Mullins. 

12 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I think they have a much more realistic shot at signing Nimmo than Bassitt. I also think Nimmo would be a huge upgrade over Hays, even if we kept Mullins. 

I've just heard Nimmo's name connected to so many teams, I don't view him as realistic at all. I do agree he'd be a good fit. His OBP is much needed on this team. 

Another team that is pretty deep at SP is the Twins. Sonny Gray, Joe Ryan, and Tyler Mahle are arguably their top three. They're also rumored to be shopping Luis Arraez. and are probably in the market for a SS and OF, unless Royce Lewis comes back early from that terrible knee injury. See any trade potential?