FA starting pitchers remaining as of 12/7

Frobby

Lots of activity the last few days, so I thought it would be useful to summarize who’s still out there, with some pre-FA market predictions for sense of scale, though the market has proven more robust than these projections.  Click on the player name for the BB-ref page.

Carlos Rodon 5/$120 mm Ben Clemens, 5/$135 Fangraphs Crowdsource; 5/$140 mm MLBTR; 5/$144 mm Bowden

Chris Bassitt 3/$51 mm; 3/$48 mm; 3/60 mm; 4/$74 mm

Nathan Eovaldi 3/$51 mm; 2/$30 mm; 2/$34 mm;  4/$90 mm

Koudai Senga 4/$56 men; 4/$60 mm; 5/$75 mm; 3/$72 mm [signed on 12/10 for 5/$75 mm]

Sean Manaea 2/$24 mm; 2/$20 mm; 4/$52 mm; no Bowden [signed on 12/12 for 2/$25 mm]

Jose Quintana 2/$24 mm; 2/$24 mm; 2/$24 mm; 2/$28 mm signed on 12/9 for 2/$26 mm]

Noah Syndergaard 2/$24 mm; 2/$28 mm; 3/$36 mm; 1/$14 mm

Corey Kluber 1/$12 mm; 1/$11 mm; 1/$12 mm; no Bowden

Johnny Cueto 1/$12 mm: 1/$8 mm; no MLBTR; no Bowden

Ross Stripling 3/$30 mm; 2/$22 mm; 2/$18 mm; no Bowden

Michael Wacha  2/$20 mm; 2/$20 mm; 2/$16 mm; no Bowden

Anyone there you’re interested in?  I’m still hoping for Bassitt.

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Only Rodon, Bassitt, Senga, and Eovaldi for me.  And even Eovaldi doesn't quite scratch the itch.

I really don't want Manaea, Syndergaard, Cueto, Stripling, Wacha.

Quintana and Kluber are options for paupers if we're not the birds of prey we've been touted as.

There are 5 guys on the list I don’t want at all.

Senga isn’t interested in coming here.

Basically you have Bassitt, Rodon, Eovaldi and Quintana although I’m not sure how much I really would want Quintana.

Quintana does feel like the guy they end up with though.

Edited by Sports Guy

Is there a reason, other than money, that Carlos Rodon would not want to come to Baltimore? 

Flashing back to the "Confederate money" days of the Syd Thrift O's, has OPACY really become a FA destination?

I mean, good young team that likely is in contention for the next several years. Solid analytics shop. Player friendly and competent manager. Florida based Spring training destination. What's not to like? 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm reading the room (or posting process) wrong, but...  The thing about Senga is the 45-day post-posting period.  It seems Elias is investing in insurance products so far.  If the goal is to get a plus arm, then I doubt he's going to wait the 45 days to lock in an arm.  If he's a shark, he's taking advantage of the chum chaos.  But he's obviously not a shark with deep pockets, so he can't wait for the last arm on the board UNLESS Elias is confident that Senga is his guy and worth the money.

I like any of the lefties in there. Bassitt, Rondon (price maybe to high for me though). Quintana or Mannea.  If I had to pick Bassitt number 1 the Mannea 2.   I think Mannea is a sleeper his numbers overall we’re not great but he gets out lefties and really struggled vs righties last year.  With the new LF wall teams will want to use more left handers in general in Baltimore because of the dimensions imo.  That means you either have to play lefty on lefty or use right hand hitter and deal with the wall.  

4 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Maybe I'm reading the room (or posting process) wrong, but...  The thing about Senga is the 45-day post-posting period.  It seems Elias is investing in insurance products so far.  If the goal is to get a plus arm, then I doubt he's going to wait the 45 days to lock in an arm.  If he's a shark, he's taking advantage of the chum chaos.  But he's obviously not a shark with deep pockets, so he can't wait for the last arm on the board UNLESS Elias is confident that Senga is his guy and worth the money.

I believe Senga's whole thing was that he's wanted to come to MLB awhile, but his Club never posted him (in essence they didn't trade Manny Machado).     Now he's unemployed and I think same as Rodon, Correa, Bassitt, etc. today.

The left-handed bat who seems good has those NPB-MLB mechanics to step through.

9 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Is there a reason, other than money, that Carlos Rodon would not want to come to Baltimore? 

Flashing back to the "Confederate money" days of the Syd Thrift O's, has OPACY really become a FA destination?

I mean, good young team that likely is in contention for the next several years. Solid analytics shop. Player friendly and competent manager. Florida based Spring training destination. What's not to like? 

Nationally the city of Baltimore itself does not have a good reputation.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Senga isn’t posted

• Upvote 1