Orioles 2022 31-50 Prospects

Tony-OH

14 of the 20 are pitchers.  Good to see given the dominance of bats towards the top of the list.   And I was glad to see Creed Willems on here given your criticism of him at times, especially in the first half of the season.   Ardoin was a bit of a surprise for me, but glad to see him just off the top 30.  It would be nice if we had a solid backup for Adley without having to sort through other teams’ trash.   

I saw Tavera this summer.  I was not overwhelmed but the Philly minor leaguers weren’t having good ABs either.  But that tends to be the case with plus CH pitchers.  

That same game was part of Adley’s rehab and he was  man among kids.  But Burns was one of the few other guys who had quality ABs and loud contact.  Feels like Burns and Rhodes need to pick Jeff McNeil and Brandon Nimmo’s brain for hitting to maximize their skills.  Some guys aren’t power hitters but they can improve their own strengths/approach.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Ardoin was a bit of a surprise for me, but glad to see him just off the top 30.  It would be nice if we had a solid backup for Adley without having to sort through other teams’ trash.   

I had the same thought on Ardoin.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

14 of the 20 are pitchers.  Good to see given the dominance of bats towards the top of the list.   And I was glad to see Creed Willems on here given your criticism of him at times, especially in the first half of the season.   Ardoin was a bit of a surprise for me, but glad to see him just off the top 30.  It would be nice if we had a solid backup for Adley without having to sort through other teams’ trash.   

Agreed on the #of pitchers.  And on Ardoin.  I’m not sure what to make of him yet.

It is good to see Luis DeLeon re-emerge in the top 50 discussion. Even if it’s all projection, it is encouraging to know that Tony’s contacts believe in him in the same breath as Rangel.

Equally disappointing to not see Maikol Hernandez in the top 50. I have read many of your previous comments on him, so not a shock. It’s disappointing when the team spends over a million on a kid who is not excelling yet. There is still time and all, and hopefully he is working hard on his game. 

6 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Equally disappointing to not see Maikol Hernandez in the top 50. I have read many of your previous comments on him, so not a shock. It’s disappointing when the team spends over a million on a kid who is not excelling yet. There is still time and all, and hopefully he is working hard on his game. 

Goes to show you what a crapshoot these big international signings can be.  

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Goes to show you what a crapshoot these big international signings can be.  

Sure. Orioles fans aren’t used to big dollar international signees. And Elias’ track record now makes us surprised when they don’t work out. I guess we’re getting spoiled. lol

In all seriousness, I get it that even the bigger hyped signees don’t usually work out. There is still time, hopefully. We know so little about the international guys until they come to the states. 

The one guy I would like to have seen make the top 75 is our 7 foot tall, 2022 13th round pick, Jared Beck. I know he has a long way to go to be a prospect, but it's intriguing to watch someone that tall on a pitchers mound, and I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch in 2023. Hope he stays healthy and improves across the board.

Edited by linedrive
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Sure. Orioles fans aren’t used to big dollar international signees. And Elias’ track record now makes us surprised when they don’t work out. I guess we’re getting spoiled. lol

In all seriousness, I get it that even the bigger hyped signees don’t usually work out. There is still time, hopefully. We know so little about the international guys until they come to the states. 

There is a huge difference between the Amateur draft and the international signing class.

Let's start in the DR where top talent is brought to teams for workouts as early as 13 years old. Teams have academies where they try and get as much talent as possible to attend in hopes of getting them excited about playing for the organization. 

By 14-15 years old, many of the top talent have "agreements" in place with teams and while they are not binding until they officially sign, teams start to figure out where their budget will be spent two years out. 

That means they are making decisions on kids that would be High school Freshmen or Sophomores. 

Now add in the political turmoil in Venezuela and you have some kids that are malnourished or unable to be seen as much as the DR kids. Still, the top kids still are typically signed to agreements way before they officially signed in January of their 17th birthday year. 

So considering all that, you can see why it's a pretty big crap shoot and why you get late bloomers who signed for relatively little, but end up the much better prospects.

There are 9 DSL players in the top 75 and three in the top 30 who haven't even reached the states yet. That shows the Orioles are starting to identify good tools and players that can have some initial success.

Now, most likely, at least half may not be on this list next year if they implode in the FCL like Hernandez did, but it does show the Orioles (Koby Perez) are doing a pretty good job of identifying talent down there.

Now the proof will be in the pudding when one of the international players makes an impact at the major league level or is traded for major league ready talent.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, linedrive said:

The one guy I would like to have seen make the top 75 is our 7 foot tall, 2022 13th round pick, Jared Beck. I know he has a long way to go to be a prospect, but it's intriguing to watch someone that tall on a pitchers mound, and I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch in 2023. Hope he stays healthy and improves across the board.

I wanted to really like him too, but after watching him in his debut, I went away very unimpressed with the stuff. It's certainly a unique angle and it's worth seeing what he can improve upon under an offseason with the Orioles development, but for now, he's going to have to earn his way on next season.

• Thanks 2