Carrasco?

btdart20

I was thinking of posting same thing.  Is Hays too little?  Is Santander too much?  Either way trading one of them and having an outfield of Stowers, Mullins, Hays/Santander would be at least status quo.  Maybe add a lefty OF/DH until Cowser is ready.  Rutschman can dh against lefties where the lefty acquisition sits.  Perhaps when Westburg comes up, Urias is part-time DH, also.  Maybe Michael Brantley could be that "affordable" one-year left-handed bat.

To "solve" the rest of the pitching, I would go with two swing-men on two year contracts to give flexibility and help with limiting innings as needed.  I would sign both Ross Stripling and Seth Lugo.

Our pitching would then be:

Carlos Carrasco -- 32 starts

Kyle Bradish, Kyle Gibson, Tyler Wells, Dean Kremer, Grayson Rodriguez - 20 starts each

Seth Lugo, Ross Stripling, John Means - 10 starts each

There will be some injuries/set-backs.  Guys like DL Hall and Austin Voth will be there to fill-in and work out of the pen.  By 2024 all of those guys should be able to up their workloads and Lugo and Stripling can fall back into full-time bullpen roles and spot starter.

Nobody would be taxed and the bullpen would be fairly loaded.  When the guys above don't start they will work out of the pen.

It also wouldn't restrict us from making a deal if the right starter comes up at the break.

12 minutes ago, NJOriolesFan said:

I was thinking of posting same thing.  Is Hays too little?  Is Santander too much?  Either way trading one of them and having an outfield of Stowers, Mullins, Hays/Santander would be at least status quo.  Maybe add a lefty OF/DH until Cowser is ready.  Rutschman can dh against lefties where the lefty acquisition sits.  Perhaps when Westburg comes up, Urias is part-time DH, also.  Maybe Michael Brantley could be that "affordable" one-year left-handed bat.

To "solve" the rest of the pitching, I would go with two swing-men on two year contracts to give flexibility and help with limiting innings as needed.  I would sign both Ross Stripling and Seth Lugo.

Our pitching would then be:

Kyle Bradish, Kyle Gibson, Tyler Wells, Dean Kremer, Grayson Rodriguez - 20 starts each

Seth Lugo, Ross Stripling, John Means - 10 starts each

There will be some injuries/set-backs.  Guys like DL Hall and Austin Voth will be there to fill-in and work out of the pen.  By 2024 all of those guys should be able to up their workloads and Lugo and Stripling can fall back into full-time bullpen roles and spot starter.

Nobody would be taxed and the bullpen would be fairly loaded.  When the guys above don't start they will work out of the pen.

It also wouldn't restrict us from making a deal if the right starter comes up at the break.

The article makes a good case for why the Mets would want a very young starter or more bullpen depth.

15 minutes ago, NJOriolesFan said:

I'd love to add Cookie, but I doubt you get 32 starts. Technically, he's only done it once (2017), the only year he's reached 200 IP. That being said, he pitched fairly well last year and managed 29 starts and 152 innings. 

19 minutes ago, NJOriolesFan said:

I was thinking of posting same thing.  Is Hays too little?  Is Santander too much? 

If we agree to eat all of the money, he should be able to be had for much less I would think. Some kind of B-level prospect or two. Especially with Carrasco being a 1-year rental. 

Both Hays and Santander retain surplus value - I feel Carrasco nearly a wash.

During the World Series I'd actually penciled him into this year's mix, then had to cross him off when Mets exercised his mid-teens option.    I think he was a close call.

He fits our profile if available, but even after Senga, would understand if Mets still doing the you can never have too much pitching thing.     Dillon Tate?   Jorge Mateo?

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

He fits our profile if available, but even after Senga, would understand if Mets still doing the you can never have too much pitching thing.     Dillon Tate?   Jorge Mateo?

Tate, or another reliever, was my first thought of someone that could be a match for Carrasco. The Mets are looking for bullpen help. Basically their whole 2022 bullpen became FAs, and they've started to reconstruct it but need to do more.