Is anyone freakin' out because the Rays have not signed a big free agent?

wildcard

3 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

From the backtracking on "liftoff" to public stating that the Orioles aren't likely going to compete for the division, these are just things you don't say.  

Adjacent to this, I enjoyed this one from Chaim Bloom's boss in ESPN's report of the Kenley Jansen press conference.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35246947/red-sox-welcome-kenley-jansen-fully-expected-fans-jeer-offseason

Red Sox president Sam Kennedy said. "We're going to continue to field a team, a complete roster that is going to be competitive in the American League East. 

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

If you can find a Rays fan forum, I'm sure there's hand-wringing about not getting more guys.

Good luck finding one though. Their approach isn't exactly one that generates a lot of fan interest.

And that's part of the problem.

I want to go on record as saying that I don’t think the Rays’ low attendance is due to their “approach.”  It’s just not a big baseball area and the stadium is unattractive and inconveniently located for most of the area’s population.  

• Upvote 1

Grading Elias against the Rays Eflin, its probably fair in time to compare Gibson and whatever he does with another ~$30 million and the fourth starter role for 2024-2025.

I believe one of Decision Sciences insights is you just don't know what pitchers are going to be good in 6, 12, 24 months, unless maybe you've known your hand selected Lance McCullers since high school.     DL Hall and Grayson Rodriguez are not hand selected pitchers by Elias' group.

Its a lot of why I've believed for awhile that the first year the Orioles genuinely contend for a tournament spot, one of the top pitchers is coming in July.     Burnes, Woodruff, Ohtani, Giolito, Eflin, Gibson, Glasnow, Baz, Seth Johnson...anyone's arm could detonate any time.

Some of what I think the Rays do well is they don't care about that - the upside when the guy is right is the draw.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I want to go on record as saying that I don’t think the Rays’ low attendance is due to their “approach.”  It’s just not a big baseball area and the stadium is unattractive and inconveniently located for most of the area’s population.  

It seems like more of a vicious circle:

- the team doesn't draw well because of the factors you named

- ownership declines, for many years, to commit significant financial resources (relative to the league) due to the low attendance

- fan interest remains moribund, despite the team's record, due to a perceived lack of commitment from ownership to keeping the best players

- repeat step 2

See also, Oakland