Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

MLBTR:

One of his most attractive traits is his defensive versatility, as he’s played all three outfield positions as well as the three infield positions to the left of first base.

Though he might be a bit stretched at shortstop or in center, he generally gets solid grades for his work at the corners and at second base. All three of Defensive Runs Saved, Ultimate Zone Rating and Outs Above Average give him positive numbers for his career at second and in left, while DRS and UZR also favor his work in right field. At second base, where he’s spent the vast majority of his time, he’s tallied 15 DRS, 1.5 from UZR and 11 OAA.

Offensively, his track record is a bit inconsistent. In his five seasons with Pittsburgh from 2016 to 2020, he was above-average in two of them, by measure of wRC+. In another two seasons, his 97 wRC+ was just below the 100 average. In the shortened 2020 season, he was down to 79. At the end of those five campaigns, his batting line was .273/.336/.413, amounting to a wRC+ of 99, just a hair under league average. Still, he was able to produce 6.8 wins above replacement due to his defensive contributions, according to FanGraphs.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

It was mentioned, albeit briefly. 

He did mention Harold Castro, and to be fair to Elias, Frazier is way more interesting than Harold Castro. However, when did Roch says anything about looking for a 2B? 

Maybe the plan here is for Frazier to start as 2B on opening day while Westburg gets another 100 or so AB's at AAA. Once Westburg is promoted, then either Hays or Santander is traded in-season. Urias goes in any scenario? 

I’ll see you guys when baseball starts.  I hate this time of year, mostly because there is no baseball to watch (except on the islands) and the hot stove thing isn’t my cup of tea.  This year silly me got a little excited and good lord what a let down.  I’ve been trying not to overreact but boy are a lot of these moves head scratchers.  I can’t wait for the spring to get here.  Heading down to Nicaragua in a few weeks so will have to get my fill in watching los Gigantes de Rivas.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He did mention Harold Castro, and to be fair to Elias, Frazier is way more interesting than Harold Castro. However, when did Roch says anything about looking for a 2B? 

Maybe the plan here is for Frazier to start as 2B on opening day while Westburg gets another 100 or so AB's at AAA. Once Westburg is promoted, then either Hays or Santander is traded in-season. Urias goes in any scenario? 

I know I read something about how it was a possibility they look for a LH 2B but not a big priority. Maybe buried in one of the interviews with Elias or Hyde. Perhaps it wasn't Roch. Regardless, Frazier plays all 3 OF positions too, as well as 3B and some SS. So more of a utility guy than Odor was. 

Edited by interloper

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But if you are on a budget why are you spending 8M for that?

Maybe he isn't on a budget :)

I figure this is the Conforto-Belt equivalent to "challenge" the young guys, just opting for a player with more positional value (theoretically).

If Wacha or equivalent closes near the Gibson number, that'll be $30mm minimum on ballplayers for the 2023 roster.

Jordan Westburg, welcome to the Ryan Mountcastle life experience.    Sure, we may project to non-tender you by Arb3, but the extra year of control could still come in handy down the line.     I wonder what he has to work on...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

Feels like this will make it considerably harder for Vavra to make the team.  Similar profile but way more expensive, and maybe a little more trustworthy defensively for Frazier?  Its clear management values versatility, almost to the extreme.

Yeah I don’t see how Vavra makes the OD roster without injuries. I just didn’t think Vavra was that bad to where we need to pay 8M for an upgrade. 

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Feels like this will make it considerably harder for Vavra to make the team.  Similar profile but way more expensive, and maybe a little more trustworthy defensively for Frazier?  Its clear management values versatility, almost to the extreme.

Versatility and dependable defense. Two things that they apparently feel Vavra doesn't have. Vavra I think will be in the mix as an injury callup guy, but yeah, as it stands, he has no place on the 26-man roster.

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Maybe he isn't on a budget :)

I figure this is the Conforto-Belt equivalent to "challenge" the young guys, just opting for a player with more positional value (theoretically).

If Wacha or equivalent closes near the Gibson number, that'll be $30mm minimum on ballplayers for the 2023 roster.

Jordan Westburg, welcome to the Ryan Mountcastle life experience.    Sure, we may project to non-tender you by Arb3, but the extra year of control could still come in handy down the line.     I wonder what he has to work on...

To me it should open up the possibility of still adding another bat.  Not that it will. Depends on if a deal is made.  

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

I would have rather just stuck with Vavra and put this $8 million dollars towards an actual need, or at least someone who makes the team meaningfully better, but getting meaningfully better does not appear to be much of a priority this offseason.

• Upvote 2