With the MLB additions are we a much better team than 2022?

Roll Tide

Are we considerably better having invested $20.5 million in 3 players?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Are we considerably better having invested $20.5 million in 3 players?

We have depth in case of injuries so thats something at least. If AR has to go on the IL for a month there shouldnt be a black hole in the lineup for however long he's out. Gibson could well be a nice pickup. Frazier I have unsure feelings about. Maybe if he is a platoon only option I'll like him more.  

2 hours ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Yea in 386 at bats with a BAIBP of .359....

You are missing the at bats after he was traded. If you only want to include his time in Pittsburg (last year after claiming that it's been "years") then his OBP in those 386 at bats was even higher at .388 which is far beyond anyone on our current roster.

46 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

FWIW, I am very much hoping to lose my "bets" on Frazier and Gibson being closer to lateral moves than meaningful upgrades.

I'll happily eat crow until I'm sick to my stomach if that happens.

Adam Frazier will be seen as the valuable pick up of the 2022 offseason. 

I think mostly the same.  I think the floor of the moves is the same but the ceiling could be much higher.  If McCann bounces back and Frazier can find the magic he had for in first half of his All-Star season, then these moves look like pure genius.  Lotta ifs, though.  

12 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I think the floor of the moves is the same but the ceiling could be much higher.  

Agreed.  
It’s fair to question org build (like blocking prospects, lack of SP focus, etc.), but I think the MLB club has more upside than 2022.  

• Upvote 1

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=Standings

They haven't done an iteration to make W-L guesses, but this table I think is factoring recent personnel moves into its 2023 Winning percentage projections.

It kind of sees BAL as one of the most "on an island teams" in the league.

Above us are Twins at .498, below us are Royals at .456 - we are at .483.     Laggard OAK at .444 and leader Yankees at .566 give just about a .008 spread between teams in a 15-team league if it was smooth.

At Christmas it guesses the path to 6th through MIN-CHW-LAA-BOS-TEX-SEA

NYY-TB-HOU-TOR-CLE the leaders.

Having enjoyed Adley rookie year, "4th worst team in the league" feels like a harsh appraisal, but you gotta play the games.    Its a known known these days there are things the projections don't know affecting the field of play.