Content hire..Cal Perry

Sports Guy

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Seeing this kind of "ruined childhood" stuff from someone born in the late 70's is kind of a reminder I was lucky as an Orioles baseball fan to be early enough to barely remember the end of the glory years.

Certainly, rebuilding "the business of Baltimore baseball" as Elias so heartwarmingly put it, they will be rowing against this kind of stuff with many middle-aged accomplished folks with some disposable income but very few good memories.

Replace ~1983 with ~1988 as an anchor point for a lifetime of fandom...yeah, that stinks.

I was born in 1975, and the Os were still a lot of fun to follow from 1989 - 1997.  But that was back when we weren't obsessed with low payroll, commitments beyond one year, service time, and advanced analytics.  It was actually fun to like players without knowing their WARs and WAR trajectory.

I can only imagine our current leadership taking a Delorean back to December of 1965.  Frank Robinson?  Are you kidding me?  He isn't just an "old 30."  He is an ancient 30.  Better to pile up draft picks.  Or even back in December of 1990 in Braves Country.  Terry who?  Pendleton?  Postseason experience....so what.  He had an 0.1 WAR for St. Louis in 1990.  And the Braves lost 97 games in 1990.  Who needs him?!

• Haha 1

The real question begging to be answered is whose hire was he, was he brought in under the recommendation of Elias or one of the other 6 Sr VP's?  To re-read the platitudes from Angelos after this is even funnier.  I would have to guess the person happiest with this turn of events is Louis, certainly questions John's business acumen.

7 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

The real question begging to be answered is whose hire was he, was he brought in under the recommendation of Elias or one of the other 6 Sr VP's?  To re-read the platitudes from Angelos after this is even funnier.  I would have to guess the person happiest with this turn of events is Louis, certainly questions John's business acumen.

I would hope Elias is not wasting his time involved in any non baseball hires. 

It would make no sense on multiple levels. 

37 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

If Angelos is still lucid this guy will be getting fired shortly.

I’m a little worried that he hasn’t been fired. I’m not rooting for anyone to lose their job, but if a player had said this it would be everywhere. How can you have a recent content hire that has said this?

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m a little worried that he hasn’t been fired. I’m not rooting for anyone to lose their job, but if a player had said this it would be everywhere. How can you have a recent content hire that has said this?

How did they not know he had said it?

Did they actually hire this guy without doing a thorough check of his social media? 

If they knew and didn't care they should have been out in front of it.  The fanbase is amused by this, they could have easily spun this into a win.

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I would hope Elias is not wasting his time involved in any non baseball hires. 

It would make no sense on multiple levels. 

I would hope so too but my hunch is that with the lack of vetting he knows somebody and that somebody is going to get a severe ass chewing or worse.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So, I get the hypocrisy of the content manager sticking his foot in his mouth, but a few years ago folks dug up some really vulgar/racist tweets by Josh Hader (which seems much worse) and the Brewers didn't fire him. Apples to oranges? Maybe, but I think you could also pretty easily put a "passionate fan" spin on those tweets since they're so old. 

Edited by HakunaSakata

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

How did they not know he had said it?

Did they actually hire this guy without doing a thorough check of his social media? 

If they knew and didn't care they should have been out in front of it.  The fanbase is amused by this, they could have easily spun this into a win.

I would bet they never checked.  If they had, they would have either not hired him or told him to delete the tweets before he was hired.

I don’t think they should rescind the hire now.   That just compounds the error IMO.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I would bet they never checked.  If they had, they would have either not hired him or told him to delete the tweets before he was hired.

I don’t think they should rescind the hire now.   That just compounds the error IMO.   

Big Box retail stores are checking social media these days.  How the heck do the Orioles skip that step?  It's a part of the background check.

This isn't some "Boomer" front office.  These guys 100% should know better.  They should be smarter than this.