Orioles trade for D Hernandez, Diaz DFA

eddie83

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

When Elias picked up Cionel Perez, Bryan Baker, Austin Voth, Jorge Mateo, Ramon Urias, Renato Nunez, Hanser Alberto, and Jorge Lopez, all for practically nothing, did you applaud the moves because they were "good players"?   Because every one of those guys contributed > 1 WAR to the Orioles, some of them significantly more.

Not saying Hernandez will belong on that list, but when it comes to off-season acquisitions of fringe major leaguers and minor leaguers, Elias has done pretty darn well.   Major league established veteran acquisitons (Odor, Aguilar, Phillips, etc) has been a different story, Elias's track record is very questionable.   But plucking these nobodies from the waiver wire or the DFA wire or minor league free agency, Elias has done pretty well.   The acquisition of most of those guys I named above were greeted with yawns or complaints here on OH

I would like to see what Elias and the gang can do with top level talent, especially pitchers.  It's great when the O's can convert waiver wire guys to contributors, but they need to convert top pitching talent to above average pitchers in the majors, especially starters.

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

Lefty reliever, with Vespi sidelined at least a little while with a hernia.

Hey, we actually gave up "cash considerations".   

We gave up cash considerations for O'Hearn too, and then of course we promptly DFA'd him.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Solid…1.73 WHIP and a 5 ERA? This guy is a AAAA pitcher

I wouldn’t read into those stats in the minors too much. Seems like the Red Sox fast tracked him because he was a LH power arm. The dude has nasty stuff for a LH. Lots of walks. Sometimes guys just need a change of scenery and a fresh start. He’s still a young dude. Maybe the meniscus injury and being DFA’d has humbled him a bit.

Overall, it’s good depth when you have a LH power arm like him in AAA. 

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Fangraphs vs Roch on options.  I'ii take Fangraphs.

Here’s what I see.  Hernandez was eligible for the Rule 5 draft after the 2018 season, and so was put on the 40-man then.  His first option was used in 2019, when he pitched in the minors part of the year.   In 2020, he was used for only part of the season, so I assume that burned an option though there was no MiL season.  In 2021 he was in the majors all year except for one rehab inning in the minors, no option used.   In 2022, he spent most of the year in the minors, option used.   So, it’s not clear to me why he should have any options left, but he certainly doesn’t have two.

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s what I see.  Hernandez was eligible for the Rule 5 draft after the 2018 season, and so was put on the 40-man then.  His first option was used in 2019, when he pitched in the minors part of the year.   In 2020, he was used for only part of the season, so I assume that burned an option though there was no MiL season.  In 2021 he was in the majors all year except for one rehab inning in the minors, no option used.   In 2022, he spent most of the year in the minors, option used.   So, it’s not clear to me why he should have any options left, but he certainly doesn’t have two.

From Wiki:

On July 4, 2020, it was announced that Hernández had tested positive for COVID-19.[17] During the delayed-start 2020 season, he remained on the injured list until activated on August 20.[18] He was again on the injured list from the end of August until September 18, due to a left AC joint sprain.  

I doubt he was optioned in 2020.

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Solid…1.73 WHIP and a 5 ERA? This guy is a AAAA pitcher

Saying the pickup/move was solid, i.e. taking a flyer on a guy with good K numbers who had success in the past.  His ERA is bloated from his awful 2022.  Do I think he's the next Cionel Perez? Not necessarily - but it is solid insofar that it is no risk, some reward. 

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say Hernandez is a pretty intriguing pickup.   Sort of the Red Sox version of Tanner Scott.   I think there’s more upside with Hernandez though.  

That's a good comp.  He was a guy the Sox envisioned as a future closer.  Obviously, that didn't work out.  The stuff is there.  He just has no control.  Yet...?