AAA teams to use the ABS (Automatic Balls Strike) system in 2023

accinfo

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It's worth it just to get rid of the silliness of the catcher moving his glove 9 inches after he catches the ball trying to steal a strike.  A strike should be a strike.  A ball should be a ball.

The good ones know not to try and frame an obvious ball.  They just stick it and move to the next one.  If it’s close then they frame.  I do agree, the ones that aren’t good and try to overcompensate and look a bit silly.  

I don’t know how I feel about this.  I knew it was coming, but it’s gonna take some time to digest.  My initial reaction is that it is a good thing.  Receiving the ball really is an art, and I’m sad to see that go.  I’m curious to see the ramifications both intended and unintended.  

I am happy for auto ball/strike rule.  I understand it takes the human element out of the game.  I believe in human error for players and managers but I don't feel human error is acceptable for officials. There is no way to prove if some officials or umpires favor certain teams, so even though it is human behavior to favor a certain player or team, it is not fair when the officials are supposed to be neutral.

2 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

I am happy for auto ball/strike rule.  I understand it takes the human element out of the game.  I believe in human error for players and managers but I don't feel human error is acceptable for officials. There is no way to prove if some officials or umpires favor certain teams, so even though it is human behavior to favor a certain player or team, it is not fair when the officials are supposed to be neutral.

I've seen the way MLB administers replay challenges.  I've seen the way a small market team must surrender either a 2nd round pick (often an early 2nd) or a Comp B pick (after the 2nd round) if they sign a QO free agent while large market teams surrender a 3rd round pick (often a late 3rd).  I've seen MLB's definition of revenue sharing and salary cap.  Truly a beacon of fair play to other professional sports leagues.  I've seen MLB actually distribute hotter game balls to the Yankees than to other clubs.  Yeah, I'm sure that MLB would never think to find a way to game the robo-ump system.  They do everything else so fairly.  Sorry, but I'm getting cynical in my old age.  We are suppose to have faith in MLB's integrity and trust that the strike zone will be set equally and fairly at all times to all players of all teams.  I think I'd rather rely on the integrity of the professional umpire who is right there out in the open, even with his occasions of human error, than to rely on some unseen programmer.  I don't relish the idea of being told not to pay any attention to the man behind the curtain.  How would the strike zone be set for each pitch to each batter?  If I can be shown how the system could not possibly be gamed, I'd be more receptive to the idea.  Get off my lawn!