ESPN Top 100

Pat Kelly

Just now, joelala said:

I’m honestly questioning whether Law legitimately just forgot about Cowser. 

If so, he’s not admitting it.  He explained why he omitted him and included him on his “just missed” list.  And I can see the case for omitting him.   

Just now, Frobby said:

If so, he’s not admitting it.  He explained why he omitted him and included him on his “just missed” list.  And I can see the case for omitting him.   

Didn’t he have him in the mid 50a last year? And to omit him the following year, after he plays at three different levels and stays healthy, seems hard to defend. 

But back to McDaniel’s list. Hell yes. Sorry to hijack

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Gunnar/Grayson are all but guaranteed on the OD roster.  Cowser/Westburg are probably fast-followers after the service clock gets reset for the additional year (but I'd say they should be on the OD roster to cram the ROY ballot box).  Norby/Ortiz are probably based on injury/performance needs, trades, and/or roster expansion.  And there's a chance they aren't in the ML in 2023 either.

It will be interesting to track the performance of Westburg vs. Frazier and Cowser vs. Hays.  I don't see either of them promoted until close to the All Star break unless there is an injury or trade.

7 minutes ago, joelala said:

Didn’t he have him in the mid 50a last year? And to omit him the following year, after he plays at three different levels and stays healthy, seems hard to defend. 

But back to McDaniel’s list. Hell yes. Sorry to hijack

In regards to Law and Cowser, I believe someone posted it the other day but here's why:

but struggled against lefties with a 33 percent strikeout rate and just a .194/.329/.287 line on the season. He took off when he reached Double A in late June, moving to a slightly better ballpark for left-handed hitters, and didn’t stop hitting until he reached Triple A in September, where he was overmatched by offspeed stuff of all varieties.

3 hours ago, nvpacchi said:

So that gives Orioles (by my quick count), 6 six guys that appear on 2/3 lists needed to be on a top 100 list to get Baltimore another draft pick next year if they finish in the places for ROY.              Well, 7 with Holliday but no way he fits in MLB discussion next year

Henderson, Rodriguez, Cowser, Westburg, Norby, Ortiz

Does Baltimore maximize their chances of getting a ROY winner by getting as many guys on the OD roster as possible to spread out the risk?  Or is it too much nickel and diming to even work into the calculus?  But seeing that the Mariners netted basically a top 30 pick with Julio for this year is very enticing.

Elias signed Frazier to block Westburg and Ortiz, so no, I do not think he's trying to put as many rookies on one team to increase his odds that one wins ROY. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The first three are not surprising, but Westburg certainly is.   

Westburg makes every list, and both McDaniel and Law thinks he plays 55 defense at 2B. 

So does anyone want to tell me again why Frazier was needed at $8 million? Never mind, no need to redo that argument, and while I don't think we have enough playing time to show Westburg as a plus defender at 2B, I do think he can be average there and his bat is ready.

We should be discussion the excitement of having him at 2B on opening day rather than watching his AAA at bats pile up while a 31-year old slow, slap hitting second baseman gets his major league PAs. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Westburg makes every list, and both McDaniel and Law thinks he plays 55 defense at 2B. 

So does anyone want to tell me again why Frazier was needed at $8 million? Never mind, no need to redo that argument, and while I don't think we have enough playing time to show Westburg as a plus defender at 2B, I do think he can be average there and his bat is ready.

We should be discussion the excitement of having him at 2B on opening day rather than watching his AAA at bats pile up while a 31-year old slow, slap hitting second baseman gets his major league PAs. 

Frazier is LH, can play the OF, has recent playoff experience and has a decent chance to bounce back and be solid contributor. An injury, trade or underperformance will have Westburg and/or Ortiz on the roster sometime in late spring early summer. I'm pretty confident about that. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, it's puzzling to say the least.

I'm assuming Elias thinks there's something that Westburg needs to work on and it could take the better part of a season before he's fully ready.  What that is?  Who knows.  

I'm not blindly trusting Elias here, mind you.  I like him and I think he's done a great job overall but blocking Westburg at 2B (and, really, the entire 2B position from anyone else) for a whole season is a weird move to say the least.  

1 minute ago, LTO's said:

Frazier is LH, can play the OF, has recent playoff experience and has a decent chance to bounce back and be solid contributor. An injury, trade or underperformance will have Westburg and/or Ortiz on the roster sometime in late spring early summer. I'm pretty confident about that. 

The LH and playoff experience aspects are ridiculous.  

If he wanted a LH bat, fine, he should have got someone who's an actual threat from the left side.  And who cares about his playoff experience?

I agree that we'll see Westburg/Ortiz on the roster at some point this season but the hurdles for either one (or both) to have to get there are a bit absurd.  

Elias has worked hard to accumulate these prospects, it's an impressive amount of talent.  IIRC, someone said that there are 11 different players that have been named to various Top 100 lists.  Time to let these guys play.  Frazier is, like, a 2007 Orioles move.

10 minutes ago, LTO's said:

What part of I don't want to rehash this stupid argument did you not get?

I just brought it up because of the conversation about Westburg and about how STUPID it was to block him when he's ready by every indicator but Elias and company.

We've exhausted this conversation and it doesn't need to be repeated. This thread is about the top 100 prospects. 

Now if you wanted to make your point about how Westburg clearly is not ready to make 2B and how thankful you are that the Orioles signed Frazier for $8 MILLION dollars, that is in context of the thread. 

Otherwise, back to our top 100 prospects talk.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I just brought it up because of the conversation about Westburg and about how STUPID it was to block him when he's ready by every indicator, but Elias and company? 

Making a comment on a forum and then saying "don't respond to this" is really lame but whatever man. 

So Elias and company are smart enough to scout and then draft a top 75 prospect in baseball after every team in the league passed on him but they are too STUPID to devise a plan that works best for him and the team. That's your argument? Nvm, don't answer that I guess!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Not another argument about Frazier…

It would be interesting to go back and look at how top 100 guys have done over the last decade or so.  I’ve seen some research in the past, but my sense is that evaluations have gotten more sophisticated in the last 10 years, like everything else in MLB.  Frazier, FWIW, was never rated in the top 100, but ranks 19th in rWAR among all major league players who debuted in 2016.