O's in World Baseball Classic

rm5678

27 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

End the event? No chance.  Sucks for the player but he will be an anecdote in a few years. Sad reality of professional sports.  

The thing is you have owners with huge investments. Maybe not end the event but put into jeopardy pro players being at the event?  I wouldn’t discount it. 

Ultimately I doubt it happens that way but owners are definitely paying extra attention to this now.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Funny, I haven’t seen players jumping around celebrating when they win a spring training game!   The intensity of the competition is greater and, it seems to me, the odds of a mishap are higher.   And whether or not I’m right about that (I’ll admit I could be wrong), I think some teams will see it that way.  It also feels easier for a team to justify it if a player gets hurt while doing things for that team, as opposed to doing the same things for some other team that isn’t paying his salary.

If jumping up and down caused his ACL to test, it was probably gonna tear regardless of what he was doing. 

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Remember the 2013 WBC?

David Wright got injured.

1. It was New York
  2. He got hurt training for the WBC, playing for a team with whom he wasn't under contract
  3. The ink on his new contract was barely dry (year 1 of a 8/138 deal)

He strained his rib cage and didn't miss a single regular season game because of it. Kinda different than blowing out your knee. 

If the Mets can't recoup the salary they will pay him for being injured playing for someone else, I'm fairly certain this will have an impact in some way. Probably something fairly invisible to fans that shows up in contract language or contract insurance. On the other hand, maybe that already exists. But if it doesn't, this will surely be a catalyst. The people who dole out these huge contracts are in a small fraternity. And it's not just about money. They lost an important piece to a very expensive roster. I think the WBC has gotten by on a lot of goodwill from teams. It's also an anomaly for teams to not act selfishly. I may be wrong, but I'd be surprised if this doesn't have some impact on future contracts. What would be worse is if it affected the quality of players who participate. Surely hope that's not the case.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Funny, I haven’t seen players jumping around celebrating when they win a spring training game!   The intensity of the competition is greater and, it seems to me, the odds of a mishap are higher.   And whether or not I’m right about that (I’ll admit I could be wrong), I think some teams will see it that way.  It also feels easier for a team to justify it if a player gets hurt while doing things for that team, as opposed to doing the same things for some other team that isn’t paying his salary.

Don't see how you could possibly be wrong about that. More effort, more intense body motion, more adrenaline - all of that means there's absolutely more risk of injury. Now is it a huge amount more risk for a professional athlete? Probably not? But it's definitely not zero. 

Edited by interloper

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Remember the 2013 WBC?

David Wright got injured.

1. It was New York
  2. He got hurt training for the WBC, playing for a team with whom he wasn't under contract
  3. The ink on his new contract was barely dry (year 1 of a 8/138 deal)

I didn’t remember that his injury was WBC-related.