What do you want to see happen this spring?

jamalshw

1. Grayson Rodriguez just dominates. I think Irvin is a very good 2/3. I think Kremer at the end of last year pitched like a 3. I think Kyle Bradish worst case is a back end of the rotation guy and has the potential to be a 3, maybe a 2. Gibson is a great veteran just Jordan Lyles type of guy. What we're CURRENTLY missing from this rotation is a top of the rotation 1. I think Grayson is going to have hiccups this year, but he also has the most potential to be the ace. Spring obviously doesn't carry over, but I just want to see him dominate in his few starts with very few hiccups.

2. Kyle Stowers take a huge step at the plate. I think in a perfect world the O's want Santander to DH a lot this year, which opens up RF for either Stowers, or forcing someone like Adam Frazier or Terrin Vavra to get innings out there. There is an incredible opportunity for Stowers to become a bottom of the order lefty bat, even platooning with Hays in left some guys when he's not in right. This is the biggest spring that Stowers has ever had, will he grab it and run with it.

3. How do the lefty bullpen arms perform? There is a lot of talk that Perez season last year was very lucky and that he's due for lots of regression. After him it's either Akin or was much worse in the 2nd half last year, DL Hall who they want to start, and Nick Vespi coming back from injury. Who steps up and becomes the lefty bullpen guys we need.

4. Health. Just health. Adley, Gunnar, Mullins, arms. Stay healthy. The bullpen guys that are currently hurt come back healthy.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Gibson is what he is-a low cost option who could, could be what Lyles was last year, but that’s best case scenario. 

They’re banking on the kids with which I’m fine. Bradish and Kremer and right now are better than Gibson. Whatever Gibson gives them will be gravy. I’m not counting on anything better than an ERA of 4 and if he does THAT, I’ll be ecstatic. 

That’s not even mentioning GrayRod who has both a higher floor and ceiling. Or, Irvin, Wells, Voth and Watkins, who is quite similar a pitcher. 

For Gibson to be what they’re hoping, has nothing to do with the future of this team. If guys step up in ST and Gibson doesn’t I hope they have the courage to cut him and look for a leader to develop in the remaining group they have. Means has a been there for a bit, he can step into that role when he comes back. And both Bradish and Kremer, but especially Bradish in my view are fiery competitors who could be suited to being leaders in the clubhouse. Wells, too, for that matter. 

There is no need to sign over-the-hill, mediocre, journeyman starters to fill a “veteran leadership” (so called) position. 

He might be useful up to a point, but I’m cutting bait when the time comes.

Edited by Il BuonO

20 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

I would like to see Mateo given some reps in LF.  His speed and arm in OPACY LF could be valuable.  Also it gives Westburg and Ortiz more SS reps early on.  
BTW was Buck’s pet project of the practice field w/ exact OPACY dimensions adjusted?

No, they haven’t moved the wall back in Sarasota to match OPACY.

To me, if you have a Fielding Bible-winning SS who is a light hitter, you don’t move him from SS.   Either his glove at SS is good enough to endure his hitting, or it isn’t.   Having a great defensive LF (assuming he’d be one) is nowhere near as important as having a great defensive SS.   Play him at SS, or don’t play him.   

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, they haven’t moved the wall back in Sarasota to match OPACY.

To me, if you have a Fielding Bible-winning SS who is a light hitter, you don’t move him from SS.   Either his glove at SS is good enough to endure his hitting, or it isn’t.   Having a great defensive LF (assuming he’d be one) is nowhere near as important as having a great defensive SS.   Play him at SS, or don’t play him.   

"Fortunately, I played for a manager (Earl Weaver) who was smart enough to realize that saving a run is just as good as scoring one. As long as I fielded the heck out of my position, he was going to have me in that lineup regardless of my hitting. So I dedicated myself to making a science out of playing center field." - Paul Blair in Sport Magazine (1985 Interview)

Achievable:
I'd like to see Vavra do well. Spray line drives, take walks, and try not to look bad at any position defensively. I view him as pretty tenuous re: a bench spot on the 26-man, but I'd rather see him make the team over any of the minor league signings. 

Probably not, but maybe:
Hall tears it up and makes the rotation. It might take an injury or someone really fumbling the ball in spring, which would be kind of a bummer, but it would be extremely cool entering the season with Grayson and Hall in the rotation. 

Longshot:
I'd like to see Mateo or Urias traded and Westburg or Ortiz crack the team. 

Edited by interloper

Would like to see everyone in camp hit .400 and every pitcher to give up zero runs.

Otherwise, I don't really have anything hopes for an individual player over another.   I hope there some tough decisions based on everyone looking good and the feeling that guys like Westburg, Ortiz, Norby, and Cowser looked good enough to make the team but didn't.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Owen21 said:

"Fortunately, I played for a manager (Earl Weaver) who was smart enough to realize that saving a run is just as good as scoring one. As long as I fielded the heck out of my position, he was going to have me in that lineup regardless of my hitting. So I dedicated myself to making a science out of playing center field." - Paul Blair in Sport Magazine (1985 Interview)

CF is not LF.  

I want to see Mateo commit to the hitting approach he used last summer for those 6 weeks. If he can get his OPS over 700, he holds the fort until Jackson is ready and then is a trade chip. That allows Ortiz to focus on being a GG at 2B, assuming he would beat out Westburg and Norby. You have a GG infield for years and several trade chips.