Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I was curious to know how insane that is. His wRC+ thus far is 194. Sure to come down from there, probably substantially.

But since 2015, only two kids at age 19 have managed a wRC+ over 150 in 50+ PAs at the AA level. Their names were Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. and Ronald Acuna, Jr.

Putting aside that Matt Holliday missed an obvious chance to name his kid after himself, that’s pretty lofty company for the junior Holliday. Acuna is arguably the best position player in the world, and even in a dreadfully down season with the bat, Little Big Vlad would be a 4ish WAR player if he could play a passable SS.

That is pretty amazing company, even given the SSS.

BTW, Jackson’s middle name is Matthew, so not quite a full swing and a miss by his pops. 

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

I was curious to know how insane that is. His wRC+ thus far is 194. Sure to come down from there, probably substantially.

But since 2015, only two kids at age 19 have managed a wRC+ over 150 in 50+ PAs at the AA level. Their names were Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. and Ronald Acuna, Jr.

Putting aside that Matt Holliday missed an obvious chance to name his kid after himself, that’s pretty lofty company for the junior Holliday. Acuna is arguably the best position player in the world, and even in a dreadfully down season with the bat, Little Big Vlad would be a 4ish WAR player if he could play a passable SS.

I couldn’t find the WRC+ for Trout at 18 at AA but it looks like it should be over that mark or damn close. 

26 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I couldn’t find the WRC+ for Trout at 18 at AA but it looks like it should be over that mark or damn close. 

156 for Trout. 

If we go back to 2006, and expand to include anyone over 130 wRC+ at age 19, it provides the following names:

203 - - Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (2018)

190 - - Jason Heyward (2009)

160 - - Jose Tabata (2008)

159 - - Xander Bogaerts (2012)

159 - - Ronald Acuna (2017)

158 - - Justin Upton (2007)

157 - - Nomar Mazara (2014)

156 - - Mike Trout (2011)

152 - - Jesus Montero (2009)

148 - - Ozzie Albies (2016)

147 - - Rougned Odor (2013)

145 - - Andrew McCutchen (2006)

142 - - Isaac Paredes (2018)

133 - - Fernando Tatis Jr. (2018)

133 - - Jarred Kelenic (2019)

131 - - Francisco Lindor (2013)

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

156 for Trout. 

If we go back to 2006, and expand to include anyone over 130 wRC+ at age 19, it provides the following names:

203 - - Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (2018)

190 - - Jason Heyward (2009)

160 - - Jose Tabata (2008)

159 - - Xander Bogaerts (2012)

159 - - Ronald Acuna (2017)

158 - - Justin Upton (2007)

157 - - Nomar Mazara (2014)

156 - - Mike Trout (2011)

152 - - Jesus Montero (2009)

148 - - Ozzie Albies (2016)

147 - - Rougned Odor (2013)

145 - - Andrew McCutchen (2006)

142 - - Isaac Paredes (2018)

133 - - Fernando Tatis Jr. (2018)

133 - - Jarred Kelenic (2019)

131 - - Francisco Lindor (2013)

Put him in the middle infield and we could potentially have a massive advantage over just about every team in the league. Its like Adley at catcher all over again. Holliday in LF? Its absurd.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, brucewayne said:

Put him in the middle infield and we could potentially have a massive advantage over just about every team in the league. Its like Adley at catcher all over again. Holliday in LF? Its absurd.

Look, it’s a matter of putting the best 9 guys on the field.  If could be that Holliday in LF allows us to do that.  I’m not saying it does, but it’s possible if Westburg and Ortiz both max out offensively.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Ejected apparently and not injured. I got a heart murmur reading your comment at first.

Hopefully he didnt do anything too stupid.  We dont need another Manny Machado bat throwing type thing.  I like my superstars on the humble side.  

On 8/8/2023 at 9:49 PM, Frobby said:

Look, it’s a matter of putting the best 9 guys on the field.  If could be that Holliday in LF allows us to do that.  I’m not saying it does, but it’s possible if Westburg and Ortiz both max out offensively.  

I'd be pretty surprised if Holliday ended up in LF over Westburg. Seems like they could both do it if needed. Either way, all of this is a good problem to have. 

1 hour ago, TheWall said:

I'd be pretty surprised if Holliday ended up in LF over Westburg. Seems like they could both do it if needed. Either way, all of this is a good problem to have. 

Yeah, I’m not saying it’s the most likely alignment.   Just that I wouldn’t rule it out.  

9 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

He argued a strike 3 call. Really didn’t see anything animated. Looked like a ball to me but the camera angle is hard to see. Catcher moved his glove 2-3 inches after receiving.

He probably just said the "magic word" to the umpire as he was walking back to the dugout.

• Haha 1