Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

I'm somewhat leaning into a shtick talking about Holliday as a '25 Rookie of the Year target.     Maybe Basallo supersedes him by then anyway!

Elias played the 129 PA game even last CBA when it was only about the glitz of farm rankings - now there's a multi-million dollar incentive out there to be won.

Think of Kjerstad, Cowser, Mayo, Holliday like the US Postal team in the Lance Armstrong glory days.    Who's the team leader?

By spring 2024, it might be the Sigbot's judgment is Holliday is the more powerful play than Kjerstad/Cowser, but those guys have a lot of polish and substantial talent themselves.      Elias and the Org do have strategic oversight who gets 650 PA for counting stats.

If Mateo can't hit at all, Urias is banged up and Frazier's mobility is too low, who's our best play against Tyler Glasnow in Game 1 of an ALDS?      The Rays are in the midst of a similar calculation with Junior Caminero and their MLB infield placeholders.

Edited by Just Regular

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

I know it was a stretch that they would send Holliday but I am still somewhat surprised that he isn't going out there to play 2B. 

If anyone can be trusted to work on that during the off-season on his own, it is the guy with a father who played MLB ball. 

40 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I'm somewhat leaning into a shtick talking about Holliday as a '25 Rookie of the Year target.     Maybe Basallo supersedes him by then anyway!

Elias played the 129 PA game even last CBA when it was only about the glitz of farm rankings - now there's a multi-million dollar incentive out there to be won.

Think of Kjerstad, Cowser, Mayo, Holliday like the US Postal team in the Lance Armstrong glory days.    Who's the team leader?

By spring 2024, it might be the Sigbot's judgment is Holliday is the more powerful play than Kjerstad/Cowser, but those guys have a lot of polish and substantial talent themselves.      Elias and the Org do have strategic oversight who gets 650 PA for counting stats.

If Mateo can't hit at all, Urias is banged up and Frazier's mobility is too low, who's our best play against Tyler Glasnow in Game 1 of an ALDS?      The Rays are in the midst of a similar calculation with Junior Caminero and their MLB infield placeholders.

I genuinely feel that Jackson Holliday is a .300 hitter .360 OBP player right now. The O's won't do it because of the veterans on the roster but I'd pencil in Holliday at the top of the lineup, at 2B in G1 of the playoffs. Bye Frazier. Bye Mateo. Thank you for your contributions but Jackson Holliday's bat is more potential than either of them (outside of Mateo winning a game with his legs). 

Unless something absolutely out of left field emerges (like putting Holliday in left field) I don't see a world where he is not a roster contributor in 24. If he's hitting .330 in Norfolk and OPSing .900 and the O's are still running out retreads like Frazier and Mateo (who, by the way is still my second favorite current Orioles) then there is something else at play and they are NOT prioritizing the best 13 hitters for the 26 man. 

O’s minor league records with and without Holliday:

Delmarva 8-7 with Holliday; 48-67 post-Holliday

Aberdeen 5-9 pre-Holliday; 35-27 with Holliday; 26-27 post-Holliday 

Bowie 36-45 pre-Holliday; 25-20 with Holliday; 6-5 post-Holliday

Obviously, lots of other players were coming and going from each affiliate all season, so I’m not claiming Holliday was the sole cause of improvements in his teams’ records while he was there.  

I’ll add in Norfolk once its season ends.  They were 81-50 before Holliday arrived, 8-7 with him so far.  Generally, Norfolk has not been quite as dominant in the second half of the season as it was in the first half.  It was 48-27 in the first half, 41-31 so far in the second half. 

At the game in Buffalo today. 4 RBIs including a HR to lead off the game.

Been to two games this week and he looks solid at the plate for sure. His defense is unspectacular...not a ton of range, but that is just my small sample size of two games of observation.

• Upvote 1

While looking at Holliday's stats, I just noticed that he had 127 runs scored in 145 games.  Over 0.9 runs per game.  That's impressive with how many times he has been promoted over a little over a year in the minors.  Also, he has a lowly .796 OPS so far at Norfolk, but that includes a .396 OBP.  Looking forward to how he shows up in spring training.

• Upvote 1