Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Mine too…I guess we can just combine it but I’m just wondering if he can get that OPS over 800.

I don’t believe postseason stats count.  I recall that in 2021, Gunnar had a poor regular season stint at Bowie, but did well in the playoffs.  His BB-ref page says he was 3 for 17 at Bowie with no homers, but he definitely hit a homer in the playoffs.  

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t believe postseason stats count.  I recall that in 2021, Gunnar had a poor regular season stint at Bowie, but did well in the playoffs.  His BB-ref page says he was 3 for 17 at Bowie with no homers, but he definitely hit a homer in the playoffs.  

I believe this is correct as well. Last year at whatever the highest level Fabian reached, his numbers were somewhat poor (if you look at BBref). But he barely played there and it didn't count the postseason stats. When you added the postseason stats, it made a big difference.

Interesting from article in Baseball America about Holliday.

“I know I need to be a better defender. To play in the big leagues, you have got to be able to play a key position. And that’s what I want to do,” Holliday said. “I want to be able to play in the middle of the field for a long time.”

Note that he doesn't say shortstop, uses middle infielder instead.  

Rare Bird: Jackson Holliday Speeds Through Minors To Win 2023 MiLB Player of the Year Award — College Baseball, MLB Draft, Prospects - Baseball America

• Upvote 1

“One game may not make an impression, but watch Holliday for a week and you’ll get an appreciation for what makes him special.

Holliday is a plus runner. He has above-average power. He’s at least an average defender at shortstop. There’s no significant weakness to his game. Even his average arm plays up because of a quick release. “

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

“One game may not make an impression, but watch Holliday for a week and you’ll get an appreciation for what makes him special.

Holliday is a plus runner. He has above-average power. He’s at least an average defender at shortstop. There’s no significant weakness to his game. Even his average arm plays up because of a quick release. “

They also say both Gunnar and Ortiz are better at SS.  That's why I found the quote that I cited so interesting.

14 minutes ago, baltfan said:

They also say both Gunnar and Ortiz are better at SS.  That's why I found the quote that I cited so interesting.

There’s little doubt that Henderson and Holliday are two of the infielders.  I’ve been guessing Henderson at SS and Holliday at 2B.   It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Also, when he was a prospect it seemed like consensus on Gunnar was gg caliber at 3B, okay at SS.  I think Gunnar has exceeded expectations at SS. 

Edited by RZNJ

I agree Gunnar has exceeded expectations at SS.  Whether he’ll fill out more and lose some range over the next couple of years is an open question.  Right now, if Holliday made the opening day roster (which in my opinion is less than 50/50), I think he’d be playing 2B most days.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree Gunnar has exceeded expectations at SS.  Whether he’ll fill out more and lose some range over the next couple of years is an open question.  Right now, if Holliday made the opening day roster (which in my opinion is less than 50/50), I think he’d be playing 2B most days.   

85% he is on the opening day roster. I agree he may be destined for second base but it is a weird thing. He doesn’t have the arm for third, which is a natural move off SS, he is good enough for SS but Gunnar is pretty darn good. You don’t typically see a second baseman hit as well as Jackson, but I think he sees at the mlb level Gunnar is going to be hard to displace.