Mets star closer Edwin Diaz out for year.

DocJJ

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Another big injury last.night, Altuve has a fractured thumb after a HBP on the hand. No timetable yet. They have done business with us before. I wonder if they might be interested in Urias. 

Altuve is expected to be out 8-10 weeks and could possibly be playing by the end of May.

10 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

And Altuve's injury was one that could have also happened in a truly, meaningless, Spring Training game

But spring training is a necessary part of baseball going back at least a hundred years and is an ingrained and traditional part of the game.  The WBC is a half-baked marketing effort of dubious merit and yet-to-be-realized potential.   The two are hardly equivalent.  The Astros losing Altuve for at least two months and the Mets losing Diaz for the entire season are two very serious developments and, in fact, the injuries didn't happen in spring training, so I doubt the fans of either of those teams are in the mood for loose comparisons.

Edited by 24fps
  • Downvote 2

I get why people are against it, but this tournament has been excellent PR for baseball both in America and internationally. Huge viewership numbers, a ton of social media attention, and electric crowds. Plus, the players clearly care a lot.

In sports news, I've seen more on Turner's grand slam than anything in March Madness so far, really great for the game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

10 star players could get injured and wouldn’t stop the run away train that is the WBC.  The players are in heaven.   I’ve never had more fun watching baseball games.  All my friends who have attended have been absolutely dumbfounded by the atmosphere.  It’s beautiful.  How anyone that likes baseball and doesn’t enjoy this event is beyond me.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

10 star players could get injured and wouldn’t stop the run away train that is the WBC.  The players are in heaven.   I’ve never had more fun watching baseball games.  All my friends who have attended have been absolutely dumbfounded by the atmosphere.  It’s beautiful.  How anyone that likes baseball and doesn’t enjoy this event is beyond me.  

Honestly, facts. 

I've never seen a crowd so permanently electric. It's wild to listen to on a broadcast. It must feel amazing playing in that atmosphere. The players will come back raving to their teammates about the WBC and MLB will feel exceptionally boring by comparison. 

Edited by interloper

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Honestly, facts. 

I've never seen a crowd so permanently electric. It's wild to listen to on a broadcast. It must feel amazing playing in that atmosphere. The players will come back raving to their teammates about the WBC and MLB will feel exceptionally boring by comparison. 

It’s also fun to pull for a team that is good :) I don’t get that much in my life being an Os, Skins, & Bullets fan. 

• Haha 3

On 3/16/2023 at 5:44 PM, Jammer7 said:

I understand the thought, Doc, but we have to transition to being a contender. I want the Mountain in our own pen for a few years. 

You're a better man than me, then, because I got to admit, for the life of me I can't understand how the first thought to hearing this news would be "let's trade Bautista to them!"

In effing March.

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2023 at 9:57 AM, RZNJ said:

Britton was automatic.  The hitters knew exactly what the pitch was going to be and still couldn’t hit it.   You only had to worry about the grounder being so weak that it would be an infield hit.  lol

Yes I remember! For a while I even began to wonder whether his mid-90s sinker (unusual for the time) was going to become as legendary as Sutter's splitter or Rivera's cutter. Unfortunately he didn't have nearly as many great seasons as they did.

41 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Yes I remember! For a while I even began to wonder whether his mid-90s sinker (unusual for the time) was going to become as legendary as Sutter's splitter or Rivera's cutter. Unfortunately he didn't have nearly as many great seasons as they did.

Britton's year was as dominant a closer's season as I could ever recall....   any stat-heads out there know of which seasons were most dominant among closers?   It was a shame he couldn't stay healthy or repeat his success...