Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

6 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

I understand your point but don't totally agree. To me winning this division and getting a BYE is very important for this team to have a shot going deep in the playoffs. That breather at the end would do a lot to freshen a team of players that for the most part hasn't done this before and in my opinion will NEED that break. 

You can argue that the bye isn’t good because it stops any momentum.

There is no “best formula” for winning.

I would rather play the least amount of games but there is just no guarantee of victory there when that occurs.

Just now, Ripken said:

His ops is .671 the last 30 games.  Pretty underwhelming.  There hasn't been much power and the defense is well below what I expected.  And he's 25 already.  Happy he's here but, overall, I'm a bit disappointed.

He's 25 already? Now 25 is borderline old? It used to be a guy who was 30 was bordering on old and now we're like, he's 25 already? Wow.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

The bottom line is either they are good enough or they aren't. The break would be nice, but if they are good enough, and they've at least looked like it nearly all year then they will be fine. If they aren't, well, it's house money. Nobody thought this team would approach 100 wins.

On that, we totally agree. I want to see them win the division but either way, they'll have to be the team playing the best to win out. I too, never thought in March we'd be having this discussion!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Malike said:

He's 25 already? Now 25 is borderline old? It used to be a guy who was 30 was bordering on old and now we're like, he's 25 already? Wow.

Well it’s his first full year though. Usually when you have an AS talent, 25 isn’t his first full year and as a C, that’s starting to get up there when you talk about bigger questions like extensions and things like that.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Well it’s his first full year though. Usually when you have an AS talent, 25 isn’t his first full year and as a C, that’s starting to get up there when you talk about bigger questions like extensions and things like that.

There are going to be more and more guys with later starts due to the covid year and lost seasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't think C is a good investment for a deal into their 30's. The money would be better spent on Henderson. Basallo, if he sticks at C is going to be the future at some point probably, not sure if he sticks there, though.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

There are going to be more and more guys with later starts due to the covid year and lost seasons. 

Sure…but this should be his second full season and it still doesn’t change the idea of damn, he is already 25? He has barely been here and he’s already in mid 20s and will be 26 before ST starts?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Looks  like many OHers  don't want to sign Adley to an extension.  Can't exactly blame them if a beer is $30.00 and a hot dog is $13.00 if we do extend him.

I don't think C is a good investment for a deal into their 30's. The money would be better spent on Henderson. Basallo, if he sticks at C is going to be the future at some point probably, not sure if he sticks there, though.

You can spend on both but this version of Adley isn’t an Adley I have any desire to sign to an extension because he’s not going to be worth 30M at ages 32+

Sure…but this should be his second full season and it still doesn’t change the idea of damn, he is already 25? He has barely been here and he’s already in mid 20s and will be 26 before ST starts?

Yeah, and the way Cs wear down, and the fact we are very likely not going to extend him (which is probably wise).  All of that plays into the fact that we didn't get some franchise, generational guy at 1-1.  It's okay to feel a bit let down after ALL the hype.

Just now, Ripken said:

Yeah, and the way Cs wear down, and the fact we are very likely not going to extend him (which is probably wise).  All of that plays into the fact that we didn't get some franchise, generational guy at 1-1.  It's okay to feel a bit let down after ALL the hype.

Him being a C is why I wanted Witt..that and the age difference.

He was a college bat, not drafted out of high school. He was 21 in his first MiL game and with his birthday being in Feb he's always going to be in his "age" season. If his birthday was July 7th this would be his age 24 season. I think regardless of his age, we're going to get whatever his peak is and like I said, I don't think signing Catchers to long-term deals is a strategy I'd be interested in.

He was a college bat, not drafted out of high school. He was 21 in his first MiL game and with his birthday being in Feb he's always going to be in his "age" season. If his birthday was July 7th this would be his age 24 season. I think regardless of his age, we're going to get whatever his peak is and like I said, I don't think signing Catchers to long-term deals is a strategy I'd be interested in.

Agreed.  So how much longer do you think he'll be here and how much better do you expect his 26-29 seasons to be over this one?  I love the kid, but it's okay to feel like he's not meeting expectations or going to be some long term franchise guy, which is what you might hope for out of 1-1.