Final grade for the Orioles’ 2022-23 offseason?

Frobby

Final grade for the Orioles 2022-23 offseason?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your final grade for the O’s 2022-23 offseason?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/30/23 at 20:21

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So, let's compare:

Kyle instead of Lyles-Probably upgrade

Irvin for whoever-upgrade

McCaan for backup catcher-upgrade

Frazier for Odor-upgrade

Other stuff-insignificant

The team has definitely been upgraded but we could have and should have done SO MUCH MORE!! We needed on premium bat and one premium starter.

Gibson-Probably, but not a clear upgrade.

Irvin move was solid.

McCaan- As a catcher he's an upgrade, if they actually play him at first and DH it's not an overall upgrade.

I don't look at it as Frazier for Odor, I view it as Frazier vs the in-house candidates.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gibson-Probably, but not a clear upgrade.

Irvin move was solid.

McCaan- As a catcher he's an upgrade, if they actually play him at first and DH it's not an overall upgrade.

I don't look at it as Frazier for Odor, I view it as Frazier vs the in-house candidates.

Yeah, I just viewed it as who they lost vs who they added. If it was keep Odor or sign Frazier, then I would prefer Frazier. But, I agree with you, I would rather see the kids. Hope Frazier ends up sitting alot as the season moves along. 

I voted C but I can't really disagree with anyone who voted D.  If Irvin is a solid mid-back end rotation guy then that move alone deserves a lot of credit.  The Frazier signing is still baffling and I really think Elias planned on trading Urias / Mateo and it hasn't panned out yet.  Worst case a few 1 year deals for modest money don't work out to improve the team.  It's not like Elias signed some long term crippling contract ala Chris Davis.

My opinion is that the grade is a C- or a D+.  I am going with a C here as they are not options.  But it's a very low C.

The lineup is improved.  Each of the moves were upgrades on their replacements.  SP, Backup Catcher, 2b.

The issues have been well covered.  There was an opportunity to make this a pretty competitive team and this was more tinkering than lift off.

Frazier...I think is overblown, but like everyone else I don't really see the value.  I mean if insurance to make someone earn the spot was the goal, I think that could have been done for less than 8 Million.

I do think the avoidance of long term commitments is overlooked a bit here.  But I get that because as someone above said, it almost feels like you are wasting one of your years.

All of that said, there are many ways this team can be improved from here.  It has talent, youth, experience and more depth and speed than I can recall for a very long time.

Now, my hope is that all of our angst in the club on opening day is proven wrong by another Oriole team that far exceeds expectations.

If it weren't for the expectations festered by talk of really doing something, I'd probably voted a meh - C. But, settled on D because I am really disappointed we didn't do more. Who's fault that is is up for conjecture. Could be a number of factors drove this off-season and we have rehashed that thesis. 

Here we go with a similar team to last year and hope they can even do better. Be interesting at the end, how we grade the season!

I think I will give it a D based on what I saw as the possibilities. 

Gibson is essentially Lyles and I was hoping for one of the 2nd tier guys or a trade for a stud. Gibson is 3rd tier at best.

I like the Irvin deal

Frazier is a head scratcher for all the reasons previously mentioned. 

I like McCann deal

The overstocking of left handed !B/OF options was weird, unless it was for AAA depth all along. 

All the catchers on the 40 man at the beginning was weird too. 

I mean, I guess the O's are better but not as much as they could have been with some basic and frankly obvious moves. 

I went with an F.  I'm usually a pretty easy grader on these but just thought this offseason was such an easy opportunity to significantly augment the club and they didn't do that.

I guess they didn't saddle themselves with any really dumb long-term contracts so I guess I'll give them an F+.

EDIT - Dang man, I gave them a lower score than webbrick.  I need to go evaluate my life.

Edited by glenn__davis
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I went with an F.  I'm usually a pretty easy grader on these but just thought this offseason was such an easy opportunity to significantly augment the club and they didn't do that.

I guess they didn't saddle themselves with any really dumb long-term contracts so I guess I'll give them an F+.

EDIT - Dang man, I gave them a lower score than webbrick.  I need to go evaluate my life.

He's probably more upset about it than you are.

• Haha 1

I'd go with D- if that was an option; it's a D, but just barely, and only thanks to the Irwin trade. The whole off-season was a wasted opportunity, filled with either lateral moves (Gibson, Givens), head-scratchers (Frazier), or marginal changes. I know that long-term success will ultimately depend on how the youth movement pans out, but an impact reinforcement here or there would have gone a long way. Elias has demonstrated his player-development acumen, but his roster-construction acumen remains a mystery.

• Thanks 1

"Lift Off" and "not on MLK Day" ruined the off-season and moves the needle downward just on optics alone!

But I went C with my orange tinted glasses because OD is almost here!

OBP was a gap and that's Frazier's strength.  TBD if it works out...  Still scratching my head over the why when we had soo many shots on goal at 2B and other roster needs.  But Elias made a questionable signing last year with Lyles and that panned out.  I'm hoping that same Elias Magic works out with Frazier too!

Improving the SP IP was needed.  Gibson is an upgrade over Lyles.  Hernaiz/Irvin is a mid-term win.  Neither are the TOR, but it bumps our fringy arms to AAA.

Givens was a solid signing.

If AFL is considered off-season move, then sending Kjerstad to the AFL gets a W too.

• Upvote 2