Final grade for the Orioles’ 2022-23 offseason?

Frobby

Final grade for the Orioles 2022-23 offseason?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your final grade for the O’s 2022-23 offseason?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/30/23 at 20:21

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So, let's compare:

Kyle instead of Lyles-Probably upgrade

Irvin for whoever-upgrade

McCaan for backup catcher-upgrade

Frazier for Odor-upgrade

Other stuff-insignificant

The team has definitely been upgraded but we could have and should have done SO MUCH MORE!! We needed on premium bat and one premium starter.

Givens replacing Jorge Lopez - Huge downgrade.  I sure would love to have a guy that can throw a 99 mph sinker and get 6 outs, versus a back end lefty prospect.  

I gave a C, with it being more of a C-/D+.  The Frazier move has never made sense.  But they did upgrade, albeit marginally, at SP and backup C.  But this was a missed opportunity, with the payroll as low as it is, to really sign or trade for some difference makers.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Probably the best thing that can be said Is that Elias didn’t make any moves that will hamstring the team long term.....I will now root for the Orioles to prove me completely wrong.  

I don't think those "hamstring" moves are even in his DNA, he is a draft and develop guy. Maybe he can grow into "significant FA acquisition" EVP but I don't think JA will give him that much rope.

I voted C, but in hindsight it's probably more of a D. The team's lack of activity in the free agent pitching market, especially given the fact how the Gray-Rod situation played out, is pretty unforgivable (and indefensible). And I still don't understand the strategy behind the Adam Frazier signing. It's like the Spider-Man meme with four or five rostered players pointing at each other. 

D-.

Got a good backup catcher, a couple maybe decent rotation pieces, Givens and Frazier. 

I’m not sure how much better we got, if any. It’s clear we’re looking for big steps from the young talent…which is fine, that was going to have to happen. But they didn’t bolster them with enough talent, IMO. 

A month ago I would've said C-. After spring training I'm at D+, but that might be a bit harsh.

I'm not relatively okay with the free agent situation. The Frazier signing wasn't good, but the others are fine. And while we could use a good starter, I see the dollar amounts, years, and ages of this year's signings and none of them seem like good deals.

Here's a recent pitcher ranking list: https://theathletic.com/4328582/2023/03/23/mlb-aces-project-pitcher-rankings/

Bassitt is listed at #42 there, at the tier of not-quite-a-#3-starter. Eovaldi is not listed in the top 50. Those were probably the two most reasonable candidates, and you can make an argument that Eovaldi would be fine at that price, but it's not like he has been reliable in his career. Those contracts could easily turn out to end with a year much worse than the Frazier deal. And the Orioles' history of free agent SP signings has not been good.

Where I do wish more had happened:

- trading one of the surplus infielders

- trading prospects for immediate talent

I like the Irvin deal, but I'd like to see something bigger to get an impact SP. The pipeline is stacked, we can't keep them all down the line, and we can afford to lose 1-2 from our top 10. I'd prefer that to overpaying on a multi-year deal to a pitcher in his 30s.

Just now, spiritof66 said:

D for putting together a good ballclub for the fans.

B+ for saving money for for the owner.

I wonder if Elias and Sig get part of the upside?  Anyone know if it is typical for management in baseball to get some kind of “promote” or “carried interest” style compensation based on achievement of certain return thresholds for the ownership group?