Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep, but 8 million says otherwise, unfortunately.

I'd hate to think the $8M salary Frazier is receiving is going to keep him in the lineup. Larger market teams will DFA a player owed $50M dollars if it isn't working out. It shouldn't be a big deal make Frazier a utility player and emergency pinch hitter.

Frazier isn't going to be part of the future and Elias can give at his bats to Ortiz and Westburg. I'm hoping at the all star break the Orioles will reevaluate the roster and make adjustments to keep the team in the playoff race.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has an fWAR of ZERO! That is a SEASON LONG stat.

Interesting, he was at 0.2 before the last game.  I’m surprised a player can drop that far in one game unless he makes a couple of bad defensive plays on top of an 0-fer at the plate.  He’d only dropped by 0.3 in the previous 18 games despite slumping the whole time.  

As discussed, rWAR likes him better, still at 1.0.   

I think it’s pretty fair to say, as you did, that he’s “exactly what we thought he’d be.”   ZiPS had his 50th percentile OPS at .689, 40th percentile .671.   He’s at .668 right now.  So, in the ballpark.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Interesting, he was at 0.2 before the last game.  I’m surprised a player can drop that far in one game unless he makes a couple of bad defensive plays on top of an 0-fer at the plate.  He’d only dropped by 0.3 in the previous 18 games despite slumping the whole time.  

As discussed, rWAR likes him better, still at 1.0.   

I think it’s pretty fair to say, as you did, that he’s “exactly what we thought he’d be.”   ZiPS had his 50th percentile OPS at .689, 40th percentile .671.   He’s at .668 right now.  So, in the ballpark.  

I don’t know that a stat like WAR is updated after every game though. 

Plus, adjustments are probably made throughout the season, especially something like park effects, which FG takes into consideration a lot better than BR does.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t know that a stat like WAR is updated after every game though. 

Plus, adjustments are probably made throughout the season, especially something like park effects, which FG takes into consideration a lot better than BR does.

I do think it’s updated every day.  But you may be right that they make adjustments from time to time.  

1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

"So it starts" or whatever that thread is?

Maybe unneccisarily reactive or impetuous are more to your liking?

People are making the same points they made before the season started.

Thats none of those things. It’s just them being able to see the obvious and not wanting the team to blow this chance to win it all. 

Doing nothing to improve because “we are 45-28” is idiotic.

22 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'd hate to think the $8M salary Frazier is receiving is going to keep him in the lineup. Larger market teams will DFA a player owed $50M dollars if it isn't working out. It shouldn't be a big deal make Frazier a utility player and emergency pinch hitter.

Frazier isn't going to be part of the future and Elias can give at his bats to Ortiz and Westburg. I'm hoping at the all star break the Orioles will reevaluate the roster and make adjustments to keep the team in the playoff race.

We're in agreement.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I actually like Frazier as a utility player. He can play a few positions (2B, corner OF) and is not a bad contact guy. He has hit a few more HR this year than we expected and has a lower OBP than at any other point in his career. Given the production at the position, 2B is definitely a spot that can be upgraded--and from within. Overall, I'd love to see Mateo and Frazier on the bench. The former is a good PR option and can give good defense at SS and spot here and there in the OF. 

A bench of (backup catcher), Frazier, Mateo and Hicks is pretty strong once you have Mullins back in the fold. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes, especially when your motivation on this board is to never be wrong.  About anything.

Frazier's been better than expected.  

Frazier's got a .668 OPS. and is last in MLB 2B in OAA at -8. 

I'd say right now he's been a disaster or fast approaching.  Somethings got to give soon.

• Upvote 2