Very, very way too early thoughts

eddie83

2 hours ago, Goober Noodles said:

I agree he's had solid PA's, but he does look frustrated.  I would agree that he hasn't necessarily been pressing, but you can see in his body language that it is getting to him a bit.

Southern kid going to Texas from a frigid, terrible series in Boston?  I'm predicting a breakout series against Texas.

To me, Gunnar looks like his swing timing is just a little off right now.  He’s doing a good job of pitch selection for the most part but hasn’t really squared anything up, and he’s been just a hair late on some hittable pitches.  He’s still been on base 6 times in 14 PA.  I’m confident he’ll come around.  

Just now, Frobby said:

To me, Gunnar looks like his swing timing is just a little off right now.  He’s doing a good job of pitch selection for the most part but hasn’t really squared anything up, and he’s been just a hair late on some hittable pitches.  He’s still been on base 6 times in 14 PA.  I’m confident he’ll come around.  

He looks late on everything. 

A friend of mine reminded me that Gunnar started last season 2 for 12 and didn’t homer in the first two weeks of the season.  He also had a slow start at Aberdeen and at Bowie in 2021.   So, I’m not going to stress about his slow start, especially one that includes a .429 OBP.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, AlbNYfan said:

3) Adley getting a beating behind plate (and at bat..hit in knee), and trying to take an extra base (dangerous, ugly, slide) better figure out a way to maximize his play or "extension" would be pointless.

First thing I thought while watching the highlights for his 4-hit game and him trying to take all these extra bases and sliding around was that he's not going to have a very long career as a full time catcher playing like that. There's only so much life in those knees/legs.

On 4/2/2023 at 5:38 PM, Moshagge3 said:

Well, as long as we're talking "way too early," I was updating the game thread with the performance of three free agent guys that people had talked about maybe signing to upgrade the pitching.

Ross Stripling vs. Yankees: 5.0 IP 6 H 4 ER 3 HR 2 BB 3 K

Jameson Taillon vs. Brewers: 4.0 IP 7 H 3 ER 0 HR 1 BB 2 K

Chris Bassitt vs. Cardinals: 3.1 IP 10 H 9 ER 4 HR 0 BB 0 K

The most expensive guy made Gibson and Irvin look like Maddux and Smoltz. Taijuan Walker was also available, andhe goes tomorrow against the Yankees, so we'll see how he looks.

Yeah, so about Taijuan Walker...

4.1 IP 4 H 4 ER 3 BB 5 K 1 HR

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Obviously we need to trade Adley before McCann gets  back. Adley catching nineruns a game. Bemboom catching and no runs and one hit. Also been throwing balls in the dirt to second on steals. Need to get two 16 yo international pitchers. Make it so #1. 

Not for another two years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Rangers were an offensive juggernaut for three games with the juiced ball. Balls got unjuiced and Rangers have scored two runs in last two games. A 2-1 win and a 2-0 loss. 

No, there were at least two juiced balls used tonight.  Did you see Gunnars shot and Mateo's blast?  Lol

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• At least relative to the rest of the league Santander has an interesting profile because he is comfortably above-average at making contact; his whiff rates are much better than Trumbo's so he's not really as much of a TTO player as you would think.  This gives him hope that he will age a little bit better than someone like Trumbo.  Though he's still got a good shot of being out of the league in 3 years.
    • It's not the money, it's the years.  I wouldn't mind signing him for a year or two, even at what I'd consider to be stupid money.  But what I DON'T agree with is signing him for any more than 2-3 years as I don't think he's going to age well.  And I expect him to get more than 3 years from someone, so I'm a hard pass.  Can we afford him?  Money wise, sure.  But I don't want to see us stuck with him 4-5 years down the road when his skillset has greatly diminished, but he's still playing every day because we owe him a lot of money and a lot of loyalty.  Let some other club take that risk, get the QO pick and move on.  
    • Santander does exactly ONE thing very well: Hit HRs He doesn't hit for average, he doesn't get on base, he's a very slow runner, and he is a very poor defender. If he stops hitting HRs so often, his value completely evaporates and his contract basically becomes dead money, and the Orioles cannot afford to eat large amounts of dead money like the Dodgers, Mets, and Yankees of the world. I am simply using Trumbo, whose basic tool kit is very similar to Santander's, as a fairly recent, Orioles-related cautionary tale. Trumbo had his big walk year with the Orioles at age 30 and instead of doing the smart, obvious thing and taking the free draft pick, we gave him a big money extension that everyone except the FO knew was probably going to end poorly. Baseball Savant has Santander in the 22nd percentile in terms of overall fielding value. However you want to slice it, he isn't going to make up any lost value from declining offense with his defense. If his ability to slug goes south, the whole contract goes with it, because he has no other tools to make up for that with.
    • Santander is -2 OAA this year. He’s averagish to below average. There but there are much worse defensive right fielders such as Adolis Garcia and Castellanos -9, Lane Thomas and Renfroe -8, and Soto -4. Acuna and Tatis are also -2 OAA.  In 2016, Mark Trumbo was -15 OAA. They’re not even in the same universe.
    • Anthony Santander (age 27-29): .245 / .317 / .477 / .794    124 OPS+   9.0 rWAR Mark Trumbo (age 27-29): .244 / .299 / .443 / .742   105 OPS+  2.6 rWAR Is it really very meaningful that Trumbo was the better player when they were significantly younger? 29-year-old Santander is a better player by miles than Trumbo at the same age, and he has been for years. I think that’s what matters most to how you’d project them over the next few years.
    • I love Tony and I honestly think we are gonna miss his veteran leadership as much as anything. I’m very happy we have him for this year. But I do think he’d be a bad long term investment. 
    • He’s the best player in history. No one can convince me otherwise.  I didn’t say he has the most records or the most counting stats or the most MVPs. That’s not what I said.  He’s just the best player in baseball history. 
  • Popular Contributors