Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

1 minute ago, panick said:

If it went over the wall why was it changed to a double?

There is a double fence in Bowie.  It was hit so hard and shot out there.  The camera work you get in Bowie aint the best.  I thought it was gone but the Umps had a group chat and decided it bounced off the top of the wall.  It was called a home run at first.  The enemy manager came out and they then huddled together.  

Now that BP's lead writer and some folks here have put eyes on it, curious takes on a batting stance so noticeably wide?

Here's where my limited mechanics knowledge taps out - I gather from the writeups it sounds like Mayo is one who gets more of his power from his upper body than his lower body, and may even be extreme in that kind of lean.

But whatever works, the barrel rates and EV's play.    Weird can even beat typical in rock-paper-scissors.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Now that BP's lead writer and some folks here have put eyes on it, curious takes on a batting stance so noticeably wide?

Here's where my limited mechanics knowledge taps out - I gather from the writeups it sounds like Mayo is one who gets more of his power from his upper body than his lower body, and may even be extreme in that kind of lean.

But whatever works, the barrel rates and EV's play.    Weird can even beat typical in rock-paper-scissors.

I'm no expert myself, but I suspect that he's willing to sacrifice a smidge of power to gain better bat control (if that's even what's happening).  He's got long arms/legs.  I wouldn't be shocked if at some point, he was coached away from taking a stride to a more "pick it up, put it down" stride so he could maximize making contact to get into more game power.

Benefits - quicker into his swing, timing/adjusting for different pitches, balanced/controlled swing

7 hours ago, Just Regular said:

For really big guys the less moving  parts the better. He’s got levers that provide the power.  He just has to make contact.  Looks like he’s doing that consistently.  

• 2 weeks later...

Coby Mayo hit a homer today and is on a nice 6-game tear, hitting .421/.560/.789 in that span.  On the year, he’s up to .277/.419/.521.   

Defensively, he’s been a bit rough, making 5 errors in 21 games at 3B.  He’s also played two games at 1B.  No, he hasn’t played any outfield.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Coby Mayo hit a homer today and is on a nice 6-game tear, hitting .421/.560/.789 in that span.  On the year, he’s up to .277/.419/.521.   

Defensively, he’s been a bit rough, making 5 errors in 21 games at 3B.  He’s also played two games at 1B.  No, he hasn’t played any outfield.   

I think he’s maturing as a hitter.  18 walks and 27 K’s.  Also, in might be a first for me, I saw him drive the ball off the RCF wall 2 games ago.   I think his future is RF or 1B.  Same as Kjerstad.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think he’s maturing as a hitter.  18 walks and 27 K’s.  Also, in might be a first for me, I saw him drive the ball off the RCF wall 2 games ago.   I think his future is RF or 1B.  Same as Kjerstad.

He’s definitely making strides offensively.  K rate at Bowie 23% vs. 34% last year.  Walk rate 16% vs. 8%.   He’s had 260 PA at Bowie in the last two seasons and is close to ready for a promotion by recent precedent, but there’s not a ton of room at Norfolk unless they jettison someone who’s playing well.  So, my guess is he stays at Bowie a bit longer, since there’s nobody really pushing up from behind at his spots.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

OPS up to 923 and he has 16 doubles now.

Same number of doubles as he had in Aberdeen last year in about 100 less PAs.  A more balanced BB/K ratio of 25/47 is also great to see!  That's around where he was in Delmarva.  .283/.395/.528/.923

Better AA numbers than Adley, Westburg, and Ortiz posted and a couple of years younger.  Pacing Mountcastle at the same age (BB% is the big difference in Mayo's favor).  Almost what HK is doing (who has lowered his K% to 15.1%), but there's the age and BB% difference too.  Cowser and Gunnar were other worldly at similar ages to Mayo in AA.

• Upvote 1