Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

My guess for the lack of 1B reps is to maintain prospect value.  The theory goes:  Mayo sticking at 3B boosts his marketable value, while playing him at 1B questions if he's 3B material.  

Elias should be fairly confident that Mayo will be MLBers at some point in his career.  It's just a matter of whether or not it starts in Baltimore.  I wonder if Mayo will get more reps after the dust settles to reveal who's left from the trade deadline.  (But I've been hoping for more 1B exposure for Mayo, Westburg, Kjerstad, and maybe even Norby for a while.)

That’s my guess too. 

59 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

Fangraphs has him as the #24 prospect overall (Holiday is #1 and Ortiz is #51). No other Orioles are in the top #89.

I suspect they don't update everyone all at once. Kjerstad and Basallo will both come out higher when everything settles.

4 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Do Westburg and Cowser no longer have prospect status according to them?

They still have prospect status, Longenhagen just doesn't rate them very highly. I think his issue with both of them is their value on defense. I remember he had questions about Colton sticking at center and Westburg at any position, in which case pretty much all of their value comes from their bats.

Keith Law at the Athletic doesn't like Cowser/Westburg very much either. Both have been high on Joey Ortiz though.

14 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

They still have prospect status, Longenhagen just doesn't rate them very highly. I think his issue with both of them is their value on defense. I remember he had questions about Colton sticking at center and Westburg at any position, in which case pretty much all of their value comes from their bats.

Keith Law at the Athletic doesn't like Cowser/Westburg very much either. Both have been high on Joey Ortiz though.

I wonder why he thinks Westburg can't stick at 2nd.  He's pretty athletic and at least looks good on defense.  His arm's not great but it sure is better than Frazier's.

I share their concerns about Cowser.

Edited by Hallas

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

I wonder why he thinks Westburg can't stick at 2nd.  He's pretty athletic and at least looks good on defense.  His arm's not great but it sure is better than Frazier's.

I share their concerns about Cowser.

I think the idea is that with the ban of the shift, second base is a more demanding position than it traditionally has been. So you can't just take a guy who can't play the left side and hide them at second the way you used to be able to. So the question with someone who people call limited like Westburg is whether they can hang during the new era of 2B play. It's why I wouldn't be all that upset if Holliday ends up there.

I agree that Westburg is sneakily athletic, but I'm not sure how much that plays in the field for him. He's strong and fast, but it doesn't seem like that translates to a big arm/exceptional range.

8 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I think the idea is that with the ban of the shift, second base is a more demanding position than it traditionally has been. So you can't just take a guy who can't play the left side and hide them at second the way you used to be able to. So the question with someone who people call limited like Westburg is whether they can hang during the new era of 2B play. It's why I wouldn't be all that upset if Holliday ends up there.

I agree that Westburg is sneakily athletic, but I'm not sure how much that plays in the field for him. He's strong and fast, but it doesn't seem like that translates to a big arm/exceptional range.

Really, really small sample but so far he's grading out pretty well on statcast.  At least, he looks good enough that I'd need to see quite a bit more evidence that he can't handle the position before I'm ready to move him off.

4 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Really, really small sample but so far he's grading out pretty well on statcast.  At least, he looks good enough that I'd need to see quite a bit more evidence that he can't handle the position before I'm ready to move him off.

I'm agnostic about Westburg's defense at this point, just stating what the knock on him is.

Although some combination of Gunnar, Holliday, and Ortiz is almost certainly the best defensive infield.

2 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

Interesting take….