Max Wagner 2023

DocJJ

1 minute ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Had a nice sophomore year hitting 24 homeruns, but his defensive home is 1B/DH. He was worth the pick, but surprise they didn’t grab someone more athletic/higher ceiling.

He had a reputation for being at least average at 3B.  He was a defensive replacement before he became a starter in college.   What makes you say 1B/DH.

He’s only struck out 3 times and I saw him make good contact his first time up last night.  Not worried, yet.

24 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He had a reputation for being at least average at 3B.  He was a defensive replacement before he became a starter in college.   What makes you say 1B/DH.

He’s only struck out 3 times and I saw him make good contact his first time up last night.  Not worried, yet.

Not having the rocket arm, average runner and questions about him being quick/athletic enough as he moves up. With Gunnar and others, I don’t see him sticking there.

Edited by Chaka Garcia

7 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Not having the rocket arm, average runner and questions about him being quick/athletic enough as he moves up. With Gunnar and others, I don’t see him sticking there.

There’s a difference between not being as good as Gunnar and being a guy not good enough to stick at 3B.

Scouting Report: The club believed at draft time that Wagner had consistently strong at-bats to help get to his power, which they believe can be above-average to pair a potential average hit tool. He drove the ball consistently to all fields in college, and found that more challenging to do against higher-level pitching in pro ball. The expectation is Wagner is fundamentally sound enough to identify and get his barrel on pitches he can drive, even if his limited college experience might mean it takes time. Wagner is a physical player with a solid-average arm and actions at third base, with no reason to move him from there or obvious alternatives if that was required

Edited by RZNJ

47 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Had a nice sophomore year hitting 24 homeruns, but his defensive home is 1B/DH. He was worth the pick, but surprise they didn’t grab someone more athletic/higher ceiling.

Yea I agree. I was hoping for a higher ceiling pick there. Not that he was a bad pick by any means but I do wonder what his real future is and what his ceiling is compared to other guys they could have taken there.

Of course, it’s all possible he had a higher floor than some of the guys around him and that matters too.

Edited by Sports Guy

Unfortunately, I can't remember the minor leaguer that was being interviewed, might have been Holliday, but whoever it was said Wagner was a monster at the plate.  Obviously, it hasn't worked out that way so far, but this guy was suitably impressed.  

I'd bet, among the many factors of why, he was chosen for his ceiling.  He had one good year in college.  It was his breakout 2021 summer league and 2022 college put him on the map.  The trajectory was definitely upwards.  He didn't show much offensively prior to that.  

Plus, he's from Wisconsin.  Not exactly any type of summer sport Mecca.  It's likely he doesn't have the game time experience guys from warmer states have.  In other words, more lessons still to be learned.

Both of those things the SigBot (and others) use to project development.  And his sudden improvement and colder climate youth give more potential room for growth.  None of this is gospel truth, but trend spotting and statistical dice rolling.

• Upvote 1

I was living in Chicago when rookie Robin Ventura went 0-41 (and committed 23 errors in the field during that spell!)....  He turned out o.k.  

(I'm not saying Wagner will be another Robin Ventura.... just pointing out that great hitters can have prolonged slumps sometimes....!)

0-2 with 2 K's tonight making him 0-18...

His confidence must be shot by now....   What would you do to try to help him?

Sit him?  Put him in Delmarva?  Change his stance/swing?  Something's got to be done to try to help the poor guy....

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

0-2 with 2 K's tonight making him 0-18...

His confidence must be shot by now....   What would you do to try to help him?

Sit him?  Put him in Delmarva?  Change his stance/swing?  Something's got to be done to try to help the poor guy....

I am sure they are working on adjustments.  If this was middle of June and he had this cold spell most wouldn’t even notice.