Hudson Haskin 2023

glenn__davis

3 for 5 with 2 RBI for the Baysox today.  10 games of rehab so far, 5 at Aberdeen and 5 at Bowie.  I wonder if there’s any plan to return him to Norfolk, which is pretty crowded these days.  With Kjerstad reportedly getting promoted, I don’t know where they’d find at bats for Haskin.  

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

…I don’t know where they’d find at bats for Haskin.  

Is Stowers still injured?  Kjerstad-Cowser-Haskins makes for a very interesting outfield. Add Stowers to the mix when he gets back with the DH as an option.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Depends on the severity of the injury. I'm still putting him on the 40-man. I'd probably even DFA McKenna to do it. 

I think we have to add Haskin to the 40 man. There’s too much value there as a cost controlled RH CF with three options. 

We probably trade McKenna for the best milb package we can get. However, depending on the 40 man crunch, McKenna would be a good insurance policy to carry into ST. But that is debatable as well. We just need to see what we have left after the trade deadline. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Hip surgery on a guy that makes his live with speed.   I would think this means the O's would not protect him from the Rule 5 draft because it is unlikely he is taken.  JMO

This is kid of where I'm leaning (and I feel for the guy) but hip surgery for a hit/run/defense kind of OF scares me like shoulder surgery does for a pitcher

• 4 months later...

Haskin was not selected in the Rule 5 draft in his first year eligible which tells us a lot about how teams feel about him at this point. If he can stay healthy, I do think he has a chance of being 4th/5th outfielder type in the big leagues, but I think the time has past on him becoming an everyday guy.

It's hard to knock the Orioles or any organization for their 2020 draft strategy due to COVID and the short seasons, but Haskin looks like one of Elias' weaker true 2nd round picks (Trimble is a complete bust, but he was a signability pick and really was a 2nd/3rd round sandwich pick).

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Haskin was not selected in the Rule 5 draft in his first year eligible which tells us a lot about how teams feel about him at this point. If he can stay healthy, I do think he has a chance of being 4th/5th outfielder type in the big leagues, but I think the time has past on him becoming an everyday guy.

It's hard to knock the Orioles or any organization for their 2020 draft strategy due to COVID and the short seasons, but Haskin looks like one of Elias' weaker true 2nd round picks (Trimble is a complete bust, but he was a signability pick and really was a 2nd/3rd round sandwich pick).

Kjerstad, Westburg, and Mayo are enough to take the misses in stride but there certainly have been misses.  Servideo.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Injuries have had a pretty big impact on Haskins’ progress.

12 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Great news he’s still here. Should give him a extra offseason boost 29 teams did not think he has it.

Yup. I'm happy he's still here. Maybe if he can stay healthy he can get into a groove and improve how the scouts view him w/r/t future value. Right now they can't think too highly of him, or have really significant doubts about his health, considering he was available for peanuts and nobody took a shot on him.

I assume they see him as a 5th outfielder type without real upside. But guys can change their projections. It's happened before, even though it's obviously not easy to do.