Austin Voth 2023

HakunaSakata

25 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

That's what Voth accomplished tonight. I don't know if I've ever seen that.

You are not looking too hard if you never seen it.  Jimenez gave up 5 runs on 6 pitches(10 if you count the 4 for the automatic walk to Adley. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Why not just send him down to AAA to start "because we want him to get regular work" and bring Hall up in RP role like end of last summer when he had 10 one-inning appearances that were successful??? After the BP gets Givens or Tate back re-evaluate what role you want Hall in and adjust.

• Upvote 1

Voth needs to get a clean game right from the get go to be effective. I don't like him in the bullpen. And there's something going on with his breaking balls where they're not getting enough spin and they're just hanging there for the hitter saying, "hit me!"

At this point it looks like Joey Krehbiel would be more effective in the bullpen. Krehbiel seems to have corrected what was plaguing him in Spring Training and has had some effective outings in AAA for Norfolk. (Though I'm not going to trust him in high leverage situations.)

I also think that anytime you're asking a reliever to come in with bases loaded in a tie, or 1 run game, then you better be using one of your best high leverage consistent relief pitchers.  We've never seen Voth in that role before. He was only effective as a starter to came in when injuries happened.

I'm willing to give Austin some more slack, but if I'm honest, I'm losing my confidence in how much I think he'd be any good for the team. The only thing that gave me the slightest hope was that he came back out with a clean inning and retired the side. Maybe just don't put him in high pressure situations? Maybe only give him a clean slate to take the mound? And if you can't afford to give him a clean slate, than he's not your guy out of the bullpen.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Is he maybe just bad out of the pen? He was good as a starter last year and bad out of the pen this year and last

You might be onto something. Last season Voth had a 3.07 ERA in 76.1 innings as a starter and a 8.17 ERA in 25.1 innings as a reliever.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=vothau01&year=2022&t=p

Screenshot2023-04-11at22-24-42AustinVoth2022PitchingSplitsBaseball-Reference_com.thumb.png.a3d2869791ea101cf13bc6792059d45a.png

• Upvote 1