Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

13 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Not if you ask Davey Lopes.

I believe Lopes is Portuguese equivalent of Lopez, so it's not a perfect comparison.  According to Wikipedia Lopes is a descendent of Cape Verde immigrants (where Portuguese is the predominant language) so this checks out.

Edited by Hallas

5 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I believe Lopes is Portuguese equivalent of Lopez, so it's not a perfect comparison.  According to Wikipedia Lopes is a descendent of Cape Verde immigrants (where Portuguese is the predominant language) so this checks out.

Yeah, Lopes is Portuguese, so no accent. In Spanish López has an accent, yes, @BohKnowsBmore. Whether it's redundant or not I suppose is in the eye of the beholder...for a spanish speaker López without an accent just looks weird, but I understand that the accent on Canó tells an english speaker more about the pronunciation than the one on López, Pérez, or González. That said, it does look weird, just as a José without the accent does too. Definitely support that movement posted, it's such an easy thing to solve and definitely just is a bit more respectful of what is a huge faction of the game. For instance Núñez spelled Nunez is just a mess...it would be better spelled Nunyez if you don't use tildes, as the Catalans do, who don't use the ñ. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/26/2023 at 2:12 PM, Just Regular said:

Today I learned Bartolo Colon has a fitness academy, and Argentina has a baseball league.

https://calltothepen.com/2020/05/20/minnesota-twins-yennier-cano-dreams-returning-cuba/

I googled his Cuba emigration out of curiosity as with Prieto and Cionel we have a couple guys with different stories.

This June 2019 story of the Twins original signing with some fresh acquired international money about to expire hint to me he was a "leftover" kind of guy who I guess decided not to wait for the new July 2019 period.

https://puckettspond.com/2019/06/15/minnesota-twins-sign-cuban-rhp-yennier-cano/

Thanks for posting this.  I've been looking at his past and was curious about the gap between when he last played in Cuba in 2006 and when he signed with the Twins in 2009.  Did he spend those years playing in Argentina?

17 hours ago, Hallas said:

As a portuguese person I can say that Lopes is a very common surname here. The reason than Cape Verde has many people named Lopes is because it was colonized by portuguese people not the other way around.

18 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Yeah, Lopes is Portuguese, so no accent. In Spanish López has an accent, yes, @BohKnowsBmore. Whether it's redundant or not I suppose is in the eye of the beholder...for a spanish speaker López without an accent just looks weird, but I understand that the accent on Canó tells an english speaker more about the pronunciation than the one on López, Pérez, or González. That said, it does look weird, just as a José without the accent does too. Definitely support that movement posted, it's such an easy thing to solve and definitely just is a bit more respectful of what is a huge faction of the game. For instance Núñez spelled Nunez is just a mess...it would be better spelled Nunyez if you don't use tildes, as the Catalans do, who don't use the ñ. 

Penya negra i taronja a la casa!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

So is Cano going to get the short end of the stick and get sent down when Tate and Givens return simply because Cano has an option? I think Perez should be DFA'd, but Elias and Hyde seem to be hellbent on keeping Perez and hoping he turns things around. 

I don't think there's any way Cano goes back down. Right now he's Bautista insurance, and we need that. If, like Hyde says continually, they're "trying to win games", Cano gives you the best chance right now. 

It's hard to know what will happen. I think Akin gets the short end of the stick for awhile with fellow lefty Coulombe pitching well. Hopefully a Voth DFA. 

Edited by interloper

On 4/27/2023 at 4:05 PM, Flash- bd said:

I digress, but I have no idea how to get an accent mark to appear above a letter when I type, either on my laptop or my phone.  Can anyone explain how it’s done?

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I digress, but I have no idea how to get an accent mark to appear above a letter when I type, either on my laptop or my phone.  Can anyone explain how it’s done?

Hold that letter down on your phone.  

1297B0D4-B4F4-49B4-B020-6F109EA7DAA1.png

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

So is Cano going to get the short end of the stick and get sent down when Tate and Givens return simply because Cano has an option? I think Perez should be DFA'd, but Elias and Hyde seem to be hellbent on keeping Perez and hoping he turns things around. 

Haha. No chance Cano gets sent down unless he implodes. 

On 4/28/2023 at 10:50 AM, Brooks The Great said:

I don't see any scenario where the team could justify sending Cano down at this point. He's basically this year's Bautista (before the Lopez trade).