The 2023 high water mark thread

Frobby

Playing one game over .500 rest of way is 90 wins. 

What’s the minimum wins required to make the playoffs this year? In 21 Toronto won 91 and missed the playoffs in the last year of 2 WC teams. Seattle  won 90 and still would have missed with the current format. 

Feels like to me 90 may be required this year. 

42 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Playing one game over .500 rest of way is 90 wins. 

What’s the minimum wins required to make the playoffs this year? In 21 Toronto won 91 and missed the playoffs in the last year of 2 WC teams. Seattle  won 90 and still would have missed with the current format. 

Feels like to me 90 may be required this year. 

I think we need to assume 90+ wins are necessary.  If it turns out to be less when September rolls around, fine. 

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think we need to assume 90+ wins are necessary.  If it turns out to be less when September rolls around, fine. 

In terms of just making the playoffs, it looks like there's little chance a wild card will come from the Central.   So what we have is 9 teams (TB, Balt, NYY, Tor, Bos, Hou, Tex, LAA, and Sea) competing for 5 spots.   A hot streak by the Guardians would make a 10th team in the mix, at least for the bottom wild card spot.

And two of those teams are not in good shape (Seattle and Boston).   Barring a big run by those two, we basically have 7 teams for 5 spots.

Now of course at this point just making the playoffs would be a disappointment.   Would like to at least be the #1 wild card so that the entire 3 game Wild Card series would be at Oriole Park instead of on the road.  For that we need to finish 2nd and be better than whoever finishes 2nd in the west.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

In terms of just making the playoffs, it looks like there's little chance a wild card will come from the Central.   So what we have is 9 teams (TB, Balt, NYY, Tor, Bos, Hou, Tex, LAA, and Sea) competing for 5 spots.   A hot streak by the Guardians would make a 10th team in the mix, at least for the bottom wild card spot.

And two of those teams are not in good shape (Seattle and Boston).   Barring a big run by those two, we basically have 7 teams for 5 spots.

Now of course at this point just making the playoffs would be a disappointment.   Would like to at least be the #1 wild card so that the entire 3 game Wild Card series would be at Oriole Park instead of on the road.  For that we need to finish 2nd and be better than whoever finishes 2nd in the west.

I won't be disappointed if they "just make the playoffs"

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Probably disappointment is a strong word.

But we have positioned ourselves so that a home wild card series is a very real possibility.

I have expressed concerns about our bullpen in the 2nd half.   I think there is a good chance we'll have injuries or a dropoff in produciton by key guys because of first half overuse.    On the other hand, I expect we will eventually get an infusion of offensive talent from the minors and Cedric's return, hopefully right about the same time that guys like Hicks and Frazier and O'Hearn and Lester turn back into pumpkins.

So I can see it going in a lot of different directions.   Should be exciting.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Me neither.  Of course I’m greedy and would like a lot more this season.  But at the end of the day, making the playoffs would be a significant milestone.  

1 hour ago, HOF19 said:

Aww Shucks........... The Yankees just lost (I live in NY Metro Area and I am sure the NY Sports Radio stations will want Boone Fired 1st thing in the morning ) ........As Always GO O's !!!!!!!!!!

Do they want Billy Martin back?  I'd love to see that story,