Cade Povich 2023

Getz

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

A ballooned .387 Babip and a 3.45 FIP/3.20 xFIP from a 23 y/o in AA with those gaudy K/9 numbers.  I'm still on the wagon.  

His career minor league ERA is 4.58 and he hasn't put up an ERA under 4.46 since a handful of starts in low-A ball. The pattern of underperformance against his peripherals seems concerningly persistent to me.

1 minute ago, deward said:

His career minor league ERA is 4.58 and he hasn't put up an ERA under 4.46 since a handful of starts in low-A ball. The pattern of underperformance against his peripherals seems concerningly persistent to me.

The odds are in your favor given pitching prospect history and maybe even the warts on his personal history.  And yet my fool-hardy ways hope "peak Povich" becomes the norm.  

6 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

The odds are in your favor given pitching prospect history and maybe even the warts on his personal history.  And yet my fool-hardy ways hope "peak Povich" becomes the norm.  

Povich has been very dominant when he’s on.   He’s been off three outings in a row, but I’m not overly concerned, just disappointed.  It’s a process, and we’ll see how the rest of his year goes.  

47 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

A ballooned .387 Babip and a 3.45 FIP/3.20 xFIP from a 23 y/o in AA with those gaudy K/9 numbers.  I'm still on the wagon.  

Fully on the Povich wagon here as well. Just let him rack up innings and simmer in AA for awhile. Not everybody follows the same development path. Might take a few more years and that's fine. Certainly hasn't been an ideal path for Grayson and Hall. 

6 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

I owe Cade an apology.  

I think he’ll be in a pretty forgiving mood, still the best start of his young career. 

And Bowie manager Kyle Moore will definitely be thanking you, because it saved him from an awfully tough decision. You can’t risk the kid hurting himself pursuing a AA milestone — but at the same time, damn, how do you take a kid out when he’s dealing like that?

• Upvote 1