I would have given Pablo Lopez this deal 10 times out of 10

banks703

Agreed! But that's water under the bridge now. 

However, we are going to need to have a couple of guys like him to win in the postseason. Grayson COULD be one of those. But that's A LOT of pressure to put on a first year guy. And Means, you really don't know coming off a very significant injury. 

It would sure be nice to have someone like Lopez to match up against the Coles, McClanahans, Biebers, Cortezes, Gausmans, etc of the world.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure, but the Orioles have absolutely no track record of successfully extending players, much less starting pitchers. I don't think we succeed in getting him to agree to this in Baltimore, but we'll never know. 

Interesting take.. what gives you the impression that he wouldn't have agreed to an extension in Baltimore? 

Just now, Winter said:

So your plan leads to starting McKenna in the OF 100+ games. 

We don't know what the comparative comp would have been for Pablo Lopez. Miami received a 2b in return for him. It was widely speculated that it would have taken Mullins but that doesn't mean that is where a deal began and ended with them. 

Personally, I think Urias is the comp for Arraez.  

6 minutes ago, banks703 said:

We don't know what the comparative comp would have been for Pablo Lopez. Miami received a 2b in return for him. It was widely speculated that it would have taken Mullins but that doesn't mean that is where a deal began and ended with them. 

Marlins were looking for added offense not defense. I'd say they got it. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/marlins-open-to-trade-offers-on-pablo-lopez-looking-to-upgrade-offense.html

7 minutes ago, Winter said:

So your plan leads to starting McKenna in the OF 100+ games. 

5 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that Urias is the best Arraez comp, but Arraez is < Mullins. And our farm system was loaded enough talent  where I think we could have come up with a competitve trade offer based around Santander and one of our young OFs. 

And honestly, with the way he's continued to hit this season maybe we "cound have" traded Mullins and given Mateo a shot at CF. Is it any worse than the Marlins moving Chisolm from SS to CF this season? 

The main point is that we had a rare shot at landing an ace and didn't act, which is an even more painful pill to swallow now given the state of our pitching. And I absolutely would have extended Lopez at that price. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Winter said:

Marlins were looking for added offense not defense. I'd say they got it. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/marlins-open-to-trade-offers-on-pablo-lopez-looking-to-upgrade-offense.html

I guess that depends on how you define offense. In Arraez the Marlins got batting average and nothing else along with a defensive liability. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I guess that depends on how you define offense. In Arraez the Marlins got batting average and nothing else along with a defensive liability. 

I'd define offense as Arraez, not our what could be prospect list & a bench utility guy that's strength is defense. 

2 minutes ago, Winter said:

I'd define offense as Arraez, not our what could be prospect list & a bench utility guy that's strength is defense. 

I guess you're speaking more to Urias with that comment. I was suggesting something like a Santander/Stowers package. I think that would have gotten the Marlin's attention. 

39 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Arraez hitting .417 so far for Marlins 

30 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that Urias is the best Arraez comp, but Arraez is < Mullins. And our farm system was loaded enough talent  where I think we could have come up with a competitve trade offer based around Santander and one of our young OFs. 

And honestly, with the way he's continued to hit this season maybe we "cound have" traded Mullins and given Mateo a shot at CF. Is it any worse than the Marlins moving Chisolm from SS to CF this season? 

The main point is that we had a rare shot at landing an ace and didn't act, which is an even more painful pill to swallow now given the state of our pitching. And I absolutely would have extended Lopez at that price. 

And ace?  I don’t think you know who Pablo Lopez is.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

And ace?  I don’t think you know who Pablo Lopez is.

It's all about context. He certainly would be an ace on our staff! Seriously though I think the trouble he had part of last season was a tiny blip. I think he's a solid mid-3s ERA guy and just a good pitcher (one of the best change-ups in the game). And the Twins just signed him for a similar price per year to Chris Bassitt. That seems like an absolutel steal to me, given how inflated some of the pitching contracts were this past offseason.