We really are in a monster of a division

dystopia

We'll see if the Rays are on a 2022 Yankees or 2022 Dodgers trajectory. 

Remember the Yankees were near unbeatable for the first three months of the year last year, and basically .500 for the last three months. In terms of high water marks they hit theirs on July 8 at +38, 61-23. They went 38-40 the rest of the way. 

The Dodgers stayed similarly unbeatable all year and hit their high water mark a few days before the end of the season at +62 (110-48).

In today's AL East dominance Factoids of the Day:

• The 1st place team in the AL Central (19-17) would be in 6th place in the AL East.
  • The AL East has five teams with 20+ wins. The entire National League has five teams with 20+ wins. 
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Chris Sale in good form deal the Padres another loss.    With tonight's games closed, here are MLB's aggregate run differentials by division:

ALE +225

ALC -161

ALW -8

NLE -58

NLC +13

NLW -11

Astros finding their form, Rangers looking like the biggest threat to the 4th place East finisher earning the last wildcard.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Rangers looking like the biggest threat to the 4th place East finisher earning the last wildcard.

Good thing we won that series against them to protect against a tie breaker. A series like that is coming up soon against Cleveland. But 1st thing is 1st, and that is getting more separation from Toronto and the Yankees beneath us.

“Since MLB realigned in 2013, moving the Houston Astros to the AL and giving each league 15 teams, the combined win rate for the 2023 AL East is the highest of any division at this approximate point of the season (a combined .620 after each team played 40 games). The division had a plus-207 run differential at the 40-game mark, almost double that of the 2020 NL West (plus-118), the next best division since 2013.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/05/18/al-east-best-division-mlb/

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

“Since MLB realigned in 2013, moving the Houston Astros to the AL and giving each league 15 teams, the combined win rate for the 2023 AL East is the highest of any division at this approximate point of the season (a combined .620 after each team played 40 games). The division had a plus-207 run differential at the 40-game mark, almost double that of the 2020 NL West (plus-118), the next best division since 2013.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/05/18/al-east-best-division-mlb/

All it took was a better schedule.  The only real surprise here IMO is Boston.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I'm fine with going back to regular extra innings now that the pitch clock has brought normal games times under control. If there's the occasional 18-inning marathon that only takes 3.5-4 hours that's fine. I probably won't see the end of it, but whatever. But I think the driving factor here is not so much game time, but the fact modern teams need 11 pitchers to get through 18 innings. Even 12 years ago we ended up with Chris Davis and Darnell McDonald pitching in a game that long. Today the specialization has gone farther. And to fix that... well, if the pitch clock is minor surgery, and moving the mound back is a lung transplant, somehow getting teams to go back to using starters for seven innings and 1-3 relievers a game is like taking your brain out and getting it to live in a jar on the mantle.
    • Not saying it doesn't matter at all or anything, but I feel like I can't even trust established stats like OBP in the minors, let alone something as esoteric or flimsy as catcher ERA. More and more I just don't know how to interpret minor league stats, haha. 
    • I second this for exactly the same reason.  Pitch clock is easily the best thing that’s happened to the game in my lifetime.  
    • I wouldn’t call Flaherty a minor trade. He was a proven SP with playoff experience that was having a good year. He was exactly what we’re looking for right now. A SP to get us through the regular season with Game 3 upside. I will agree that we need to do better to win a WS. Probably a lefty with our ballpark.  To that point, Kjerstad is now a member of the mlb team. So is Povich. We’re not trading any of the big 3. How much does McDermott, Norby, Stowers, plus the rest of our 4-system buy us?  Probably not Logan Webb because of the contract, but I think it buys us Kikuchi, and two rental relievers. 
    • The we'd also part was me agreeing to his point about Ryan, even if I thought the salary numbers were high.  
    • I think he was talking about Ryan Mountcastle but I can understand the pivot.  It’s like the Elvin Hayes turn around bank shot.  It’s always there when you need it.  😀
    • Suarez minor league deal. Cole Sulser. Cesar Valdez. Jorge Lopez. There's a ton, even if some only work out for one year or so.  I think what happens is people look at this year and the lack of waiver/small trade/minor league deal success stories, which is true. Elias hasn't found that guy on waivers or trades this year... yet. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now