Oakland to Vegas; Expansion One Step Closer

SpOkane

The Philadelphia/Kansas City/Oakland A's to Vegas by 2027: Oakland A’s Reach Deal on Las Vegas Stadium - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

I am supposing Oakland will not be on the short list of expansion sites. Once Tampa Bay is settled, bring on the 2 expansion teams.

Jaffe had an article about SLC throwing their hat in the ring.Salt Lake City’s Bid for a Major League Expansion Team Is for Real | FanGraphs Baseball

My list in order of most likely sites for expansion or TB relocation: Nashville/Portland/SLC/Charlotte/Montreal/Vancouver.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Exciting news for Dave Dombrowski, who I once saw in interview say part of what helped him toward the Philadelphia opportunity was covid putting the cooler on Nashville expansion efforts.

I've heard the OAK ballpark has opposums - what else may come if it is another 3.9 lame duck seasons?

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I've heard the OAK ballpark has opposums - what else may come if it is another 3.9 lame duck seasons?

Possums keep the bugs, snakes, and rodents at bay, hell they will eat anything.  If you're going to have one animal inhabit your park, I can't think of a better one.

Edited by yark14
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Goober Noodles said:

Ugh...  Sad day for baseball.  What a shame.

As irrational as it is, I would be lying if this doesn't make me a little more paranoid about the O's moving.  Not a lot to feel good about with this whole situation.

Considering we have one of the best/most revered stadiums in the league, and this relocation is based on them being unable to get a stadium built, I don’t see how this should impact the Os in any way. 

Sucks they’re leaving Oakland though. Feel bad for those fans. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Is it a given that MLB will approve the move?

From the article:

M.L.B. Commissioner Rob Manfred, in a statement provided to The New York Times, said, “We support the A’s turning their focus on Las Vegas and look forward to them bringing finality to this process by the end of the year.”