TT: It's time to bring up Colton Cowser

Tony-OH

If Hays is hurt to the point that he has to sit out for a while I can see bringing up Cowser to play left.  But I have no concern about Hays defense.  He has had some weather related problems with wind and cold but overall I think he is still the same above average outfielder with a great arm.   Heck one of his misplays was overrunning a ball.  That does not relate to a poor jump or lose of speed.

Now if Elias wants to bring Cowser up to play Hays, Mullins and Cowser in some order, then that is another story.   I don't know if Elias will consider that Cowser has mastered AAA yet.   He was not great in AAA last year and he has only 96 PAs in AAA this season.    Its kind of a decision on when Elias has seen enough to think he is ready.   I can see where you are coming from though Tony.

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Terrin Vavra leads the team in DH appearances (ridiculous BTW) so it makes some sense to send to move Hays to RF, Santander to DH and bring up Cowser to play LF. Vavra can be optioned.

Totally agree, but Vavra only has one DH appearance this season. Adley is leading with 7 I think. I'm guessing you're counting last year as well?

Regardless, this is the way to do it. Vavra optioned and shifting Hays to RF. Of course it makes way too much sense so it definitely won't happen. :)

I think this works. Some ABs will have to be taken away from Hays, Santander and Mullins but it will keep those guys a little fresher as the games pile up. Should make the team stronger overall - offensively and defensively. 

I’m convinced!  But I’ve been in Cowser’s corner when y’all were questioning! ;)

Vavra’s SSS over the last 2 seasons hasn’t proven enough.  Plus Cowser’s OF defense is an upgrade.  He’s riding a psychological high.  And has hit LHP in his 17 PAs to the tune of a .887 OPS (sort of answering that question).

44 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s time to replace Vavra, or O’Hearn, with Wesbturg.  There is a clear playing path for Cowser and Westburg. Westburg can play some 2B/3B/DH vs LHP. 

That's a clear path? Both should be playing pretty much every day if called up. I think both are ready, the question is whether the team is ready. 

Unless either can pitch I don't really see what need they would fill. That said, I would certainly be excited to see them. I just can't help thinking we would be better off trading Hays, Santander, or 

One more consideration is that both would require 40 man moves. Who are the two position players we are willing to lose off the 40 man? It looks pretty crowded. Vavra and McKenna? 

Completely agree. I like Vavra but we simply have higher upside players ready for those PAs both in the outfield (Cowser, Stowers) and the infield (Westburg, Ortiz). 

We're getting a .683 OPS out of DH by the way. The worst of any position besides 2b so far. That includes a 1.0222 OPS in 7 games from Adley at DH, so suffice to say the other guys rotating in there are not getting the job done so far. 

• Upvote 1

I was shocked by Hays’ poor defense in the first 7-10 days, but it seems to me like he’s righted the ship.   I’d like to keep an eye on this for a few more weeks before pulling the trigger on a move like this.   I do think the data Tony cited about Hays’ burst and jump are a concern.