Ortiz down, Stowers up

Sports Guy

Fangraphs WAR:

Santander: -.2

Mountcastle: -.2

Frazier- .1

Those 3 combine for about 30% of the teams PA.

Vavra, McKenna and OHearn have a combined .1 WAR.  They have 80 PA between them.

Hays has one of the worst OAA’s in the league.

Roster spots/at bats can be taken away from these guys. That isn’t going to hurt the team.

9 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Stowers defense is better than reported and again, .996 OPS at Norfolk so far. So, no. 

I have been watching Stowers in Norfolk and I have seen him make several amazing diving catches in the outfield.   I think reports of Stowers being bad on defense are hasty.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gurgi said:

I have been watching Stowers in Norfolk and I have seen him make several amazing diving catches in the outfield.   I think reports of Stowers being bad on defense are hasty.   

He played CF at Stanford and wasn’t seen as a liability, not even close.

48 minutes ago, Pickles said:

If Mateo's playing every day, and Gunnar is playing basically every day, and Urias is playing most days, and Frazier is getting some starts at 2b, then there is no place on this team for both Ortiz and Westburg.  Simply isn't.

You're advocating for something that is literally impossible.  There aren't that many abs to go around.

He knows. If only the team could field 7 infielders. So the O’s just completed the best April start of any Oriole team ever and this guy wants to change what’s been working. It’s funny if it wasn’t so sad.

Edited by Explosivo

5 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

He didn’t play well defensively last year. We all saw that. 

I would rather if he plays to see him in the OF instead of Santander though. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He didn’t play well defensively last year. We all saw that. 

I would rather if he plays to see him in the OF instead of Santander though. 

Some people thought it might be taking him some getting used to double decker stands.  He did seem to get a bad jump and sometimes bad routes to the ball in Baltimore last year.  However watching him on Milb in Norfolk he looked actually very good.  Good jumps good routes and was laying out multiple times and coming up with great catches.  So I have hope he is a major league level defender still. 

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right..which is why I want the better players here.

Oh I'm agreeing with you. There are games and ABs to be shared if the O's end up making some tough decisions about the roster as currently constructed. I'm personally hoping that the O's move on from McKenna and eventually cut bait with Frazier. 

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Fangraphs WAR:

Santander: -.2

Mountcastle: -.2

Frazier- .1

Those 3 combine for about 30% of the teams PA.

Vavra, McKenna and OHearn have a combined .1 WAR.  They have 80 PA between them.

Hays has one of the worst OAA’s in the league.

Roster spots/at bats can be taken away from these guys. That isn’t going to hurt the team.

You have a 4 man bench. One is McCann. 

Right now the rest is McKenna, O’Hearn and Stowers. I expect Stowers to play more than he did at start. McKenna has actually been playing better. O’Hearn we will have to see now they are facing more RHP how much he plays. He has been hitting fine. 

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Some people thought it might be taking him some getting used to double decker stands.  He did seem to get a bad jump and sometimes bad routes to the ball in Baltimore last year.  However watching him on Milb in Norfolk he looked actually very good.  Good jumps good routes and was laying out multiple times and coming up with great catches.  So I have hope he is a major league level defender still. 

That’s fine. When he plays he plays over Santander in the field.  

24 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m telling you what I saw with my own eyes. He struggled. Today McKenna came in for him. 

I’ve already said if both he and Santander play I would rather Santander be the DH. 

He’s not a liability. He’s average-ish which, btw, is better than what Hays has been this year.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s not a liability. He’s average-ish which, btw, is better than what Hays has been this year.

I’m interested to see where Hays finishes the year.  For whatever reason, he made 3-4 flat out horrible plays the first week or so of the season.  I really haven’t seen a play since then where I thought be messed up in any way.  I think his defensive numbers have held pretty steady since then.  I’ll have to see what I can fish out.  

I feel Hays is a better defender than Stowers, but I also think Stowers is looking more comfortable, which was to be expected.